How Do You Catch Smelt?

yup hibernation, been busy working,putting some$s in the bank so I can have more fishing time,lol will be a better year this year

I want to fish this year as often as my bones will let me. A good year it will be. I hope I go through many tanks of fuel. Might even get brave enough to hit that Hastings place in my little boat this summer. Going with the 24 footer for sure. Planning on staying @NorthErieMarina again, but this time when the fish are there. Could oyu @HORTY please tell me when that will be?

Went out from St Williams today and while the perch were pretty much absent there was an abundance of smelt. Just had to jig a silver spoon a bit and a dozen or so nice smelt would show up. I just couldn't seem to hook the little buggers. I put on a tiny jig and a tiny piece of minnow but they would just take a swipe and leave. Any tips you can give to get them to bite or a particular bait?

I used to Jig with a very small treble, and a tiny pearl wired where the prongs meet.....16" of line then a small silver spoon....put this down and lift up rapidly...put down again ..wait a few seconds...then lift rapidly..this will catch perch...and herring too....no bait needed

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks