How Big To Go??

mrozborn

Looking for opinions and / or experience regarding boat size for Lake Erie. I'm currently using a Lund Adventure 1650SS with a 60HP Yamaha. It's a great boat but too often the winds out of Port Maitland are above 15 KMH which is usually my limit. The boat is okay, I'm not because the boat is bouncing all over when trolling. It's difficult as well because I'm running two rods, catching, netting, untangling gear and steering all at the same time. This is due to I'm quite often fishing alone.
Now the question: Would a bigger heavier, say fiberglass boat, be more stable and allow me to fish at 15 to 20 KMH winds? What would be the minimum size to recommend to achieve the stability and handling on my own?
thanks
Mike

I had the same problem with my 17 foot Sea Nymph until I put auto pilot in solved my problems little pricey but worth every penny.
I've thought about auto pilot but it wouldn't make the boat more stable, just steer straighter. The Lund is 82" wide so pretty good for it's size.

I went from a 17 Smokercraft to an 18'6" Fisher fiberglass, it is a big difference, but a 21'er would be better.

Not sure about the minimum size required to achieve your goals, but I went from a 17 ft Princecraft to a 34 ft Silverton and this size allows me to fish in 15 to 20 k winds with comfort. On lake Erie when the wind picks up it does not matter about boat size, I start heading in as well.

I moved up from a 16 to a 17 6 and the difference in free draught was amazing. Like you I fish solo a lot. But unless you get some sort of autopilot - bow mounted or helm control, the boat is still gonna do tricks the minute you walk away from the helm to set up, net or reel in. Change the angle of the boat in the water and it changes its direction. Iven in a bigger glass boat, although the bigger and heavier the boat the less dramatic the change, obviously.
After a few outings with my Xi-5 in windy conditions I bit the bullet this year and bought autopilot at the helm, and so far it seems to be worth the investment. The Xi5 even with new batteries and a 24 volt system wouldn't last for longer outings on windy days where it had to be at 60% to hold the heading. The day I did a 360 in 3 footers while setting up downrigger line with the other one still out was the day I decided autopilot was necessary.

I went from this......

lund2.jpeg

to this....

trophy2002.jpg

A 18.6' Lund Alaskan to a 22' Trophy Pro.
The Lund was an awesome fish rig, but on big water like Erie, it just beat me up when it got rough. Low gunnels made it dicey fishing alone. When it got rough, the boat could handle way more than the operator, but it was a rough rough ride home.
The Trophy...at 22', 102" beam, 3350lbs, it is certainly more stable, softer ride, 3' waves not an issue. However...once its rough, its rough and boat control while not as reactive as the Lund, is still necessary...so fishing solo is tough. The Trophy gives me a safer, more comfortable ride and handles big water better. Downside..its bigger, and not as multi-purpose/multi-location as the Lund. Harder to launch and handle in some of the spots the Lund excelled in.
So, this 22 is a perfect size for most of Erie days, and Ill run it this year out of Erieau...but...I also may go back to an aluminum hull in the 18-20' range, one of the newer deep hull designs....if I can dig up the $60K++ needed...!!!!!

Went from a 16” to a 19.5” obviously way wider and deeper as well and also it’s a inboard/outboard so nice deep straight transom way more capable in the ruff conditions game changer very happy

Autopilot with the wind behind you makes most fishing very safe...if the gunnels are at your knees,then you are also safer when a rogue wave tosses you around...I have a 23foot Wilker Medallion '91 deep V fiberglass and have allways felt safe on L.Erie regardless of conditions that may have sprung up without enough 'warning'...I may consider selling the boat as the kids have purchased a cottage in HoneyHarbor so smaller for fishing will be necessary most of the time---if you are sincerely wanting to invest in your 'final size' boat , text Alex at 5195884590---this summer new adventure up north will reveal if a 'change' is necessary---stay safe whichever route you choose---we have rescued 'weekend warriors' many times--and glad we could help those who were helplessly floating toward Ohio

Started with this 16' Legend side console which handled very well for it's size.

Then went to an 18'6" Lund Alaskan center console. Handled well on Erie but with the console being so far back it lacked space to troll comfortably with 1 or more people on board so traded it one season later.

My current boat which I have had for 4 seasons now is a 20'6" Lund Alaskan DC which I am quite happy with. It handles very well, it's very stable and has lots of floor space.

Attachments

• 20160614_071718.jpg
    20160614_071718.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 26
  • 20171007_165105.jpg
    20171007_165105.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20171007_165150.jpg
    20171007_165150.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20171018_180205.jpg
    20171018_180205.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20171010-201151.png
    Screenshot_20171010-201151.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks