Hotlinefishing update Port Bruce Aug 23/24

Hotlinefishing

Hello,

I have been down at Port Bruce for a few days and spent a couple of days on the water. We have been fishing in 55-60 feet of from 3 miles east of Port Bruce and about 6 miles west of port. The number of walleye marking on the finder have dropped off since early last week along with the catch rates for myself and most other anglers. Many of the walleye have moved up in the water table so the 6 and 7 colors have been working better than the deep cores.
We have been running the dipseys out from 130-160 back on a 1.5 setting. There are small pockets of walleye around so when I get into a few I turned the boat around to go back over them. I noticed you can troll for a great distance without seeing any on the fishfinder so the results were better working over a small school. The water temps were still around 70 degrees down 45-50 feet but many of the walleye have moved up in the water table from where they were for a few weeks even though the down temps were still warm. There are a few rainbows around now so we hit a few each trip on the 9 or 10 color cores. Some anglers have been doing well in 53-55 feet of water so it is worth taking a look when you are cruising out to see if they are closer to shore. I have been using body baits most of the time with the purples working best early in the morning and silver/blue and orange/chartreuse working later in the morning.

Tightlines,

John

Hi John how long do the walleye stick around Port Bruce area do they tend to move over to USA side of lake ? and why?Thanks for any info.I look for your informative reports.Thanks for keeping us informed.

Hi Tcat,

Usually after a good storm in late August or early September the walleye are no longer around in good numbers off of Port Bruce. I usually pull my vessel out when the catch rate drops which has been the case for the last couple of years so I can't answer your question of where they tend to move to.

Cheers,

John

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks