Hotlinefishing Port Bruce July 6

Hotlinefishing

My fishing party arrived after 7 a.m. this morning so we started a little late. I headed the vessel out to 51 feet where we had caught some fish the day before. The screen was pretty blank today but we had the odd hit so we stayed in the area a couple of miles west of port for about 3 hours. After this we headed out a little deeper and about 4 miles west of port in 54 feet of water. There were more fish marking so we had a better luck in this area and fished until just after lunch.
Stats:
Went 7 for 12 with 4 nice walleye all in a cookie cutter size of about 3.5 lbs each
The 3 steelhead were in the 5-8 lb. range
Best lures for walleye were a variety of orange and yellow spoons on 4 - 5 color cores
One walleye came off small dipset 3 setting out 125 feet
Rainbows all hit the mainlines down 40 and 42 feet using BPW and Nascar spoons
Surface temps were 69.5 degrees and 40 feet down on the probe the temps were 64.5 degrees
Best trolling speed today was 2.6 - 2.7 on the probe which is about 3.0-3.1 on the GPS
No pictures today since the clients were taking their own.

Tightlines,

John

Wow great job! We were out of Bruce also but couldn't keep the fish hooked long enough to get a look at them. We fished from 6:30am-1:30pm in 51-61 FOW. We caught a few sheeps and lost count of the silvers after the 13th. No walleye or bows for us today.....:(

hey hotline, your speed was that kms, miles per hour or knots?

Hi Paul,

The trolling speed listed was in miles per hour. I usually slow down a bit when the rainbow are not around but this is the speed that has been working best for me for a mixed catch.

Cheers,

John

Wow great job! We were out of Bruce also but couldn't keep the fish hooked long enough to get a look at them. We fished from 6:30am-1:30pm in 51-61 FOW. We caught a few sheeps and lost count of the silvers after the 13th. No walleye or bows for us today.....:(

Hi Eriebouy,

I will be out again tomorrow so if you are on the water give me a shout on 68. I caught about 6 silvers this morning before we got into the area where we got the walleye. In past years if I get into an area where we were catching lots of sheeps or silvers I sometimes pulled lines and went a couple miles to try a different area.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the report....you had a good day on the water. The fish seem to be very scattered at all depths of water. Need some warm calm days to set the lake up.

Great info sharing John... Keep up the good work and good luck this season... Be well... Jammer

John, keep talking like that and you'll have a line up!! Thanks for taking the time for a phone call.

Peter

John, keep talking like that and you'll have a line up!! Thanks for taking the time for a phone call.

Peter

Hi Peter,

No problem, I hope that you have been having some luck. There are more walleye arriving everyday so it's just a matter of time now. I will be fishing 3-4 days next week.

John

Hi Peter,

No problem, I hope that you have been having some luck. There are more walleye arriving everyday so it's just a matter of time now. I will be fishing 3-4 days next week.

John
Fished today,be carefully three tugs out today dropped nets from 54 feet to shore between Bruce and port Stanley,Was hard to fish in due to nets a few miles apart.5 pics,2 bows yesterday,2 pics,2 bows today.

The perch at Bruce are anywhere from 30 feet of water and out . There is always a pack of boats east and west of the pier. If you launch at North Erie marine Greg will give you some advice on where to go . A perch rig works well . The winds may be strong on Saturday . Check the weather before you go.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks