Hotlinefishing Port Bruce Aug 19 & 20

Hotlinefishing

We were fishing in 65-66 feet a bit east of Stanley where we had some good luck the previous week this Monday. We did not mark the large schools of walleye that had been there the previous week so we were one shy of a 2 man limit. Mainly using 9 color cores with shallow dive and deep dive Reef runners in purple patterns and switched over to silver blue later in the day.

On Tuesday we fished straight out from Bruce and easily caught 2 man limit of walleye and one bow in 60 feet of water using 8-9 color cores reef runners and tail dancers. Purple patterns worked until about 9:30 a.m. as well as the gold black patterns. We had a few hits on gold/blk ripplin redfin on the 10 color. All in all a nice day on the lake and pretty good fishing. I heard there was steady action in 64 feet as well but we stayed in 58-60 to entire morning.

Tightlines,

John

Great report John,Thankyou for keeping us weekend warriors informed lol.Just curious why purple was only good til 930 and what did you switch to after that?Thanks,just trying to figure out colours etc.

Great report John,Thankyou for keeping us weekend warriors informed lol.Just curious why purple was only good til 930 and what did you switch to after that?Thanks,just trying to figure out colours etc.
Hi Tcat,

We were still marking plenty of fish and the bite slowed down on the dark colors. The sun was bright yesterday and the higher it gets the more reflective patterns generally work better. The silver blue lures could be seen for a great distance as I let them out behind the vessel. I usually run the darker colors until 9:30 and then pull a couple of lines and put the brighter lures out. Sometimes I throw out a really bright one and there has been a bomber working for me that has bright gold sides and a red head.

John

Great report John was just wondering if you use lures like the nascar colour ones or just body baits or were the body baits just that much better right now. New to deep water trolling and just curious .

Hi Driftrunner,

I have been using body baits for the past month and they have been outproducing spoons for me. I have been fishing this area for over 30 years and have used spoons most of the time but this year body baits have been best for me and others that have tried similar patterns and contacted me that they were working well for them too.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks