Homemade spud bar

Rjohn

Figured i would build this tool to help me cross pressure cracks and check ice when needed.used shovel handle,pipe,flat bar that i hardened the cutting edge.

Attachments

• 20180130_174850.jpg
    20180130_174850.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 20180130_174902.jpg
    20180130_174902.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 20180130_174924.jpg
    20180130_174924.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 140
I also made one and it looks like we were on the same wavelength during our builds?

Dan.
IMG_1229_zpshixio6ar.jpg

IMG_1227_zpsk8zn9lzv.jpg

looks really good!
but what about building ice picks into handle or shaft like a hook? a little modification might help you use the spud to get out of water if you accidently fell through ice..just an idea might not work i don't know..

looks really good!
but what about building ice picks into handle or shaft like a hook? a little modification might help you use the spud to get out of water if you accidently fell through ice..just an idea might not work i don't know..
Ya i have ice pics that you put around your neck like a necklace.pics plug into eachother. If i fall in with spud bar its stayin there lol.

Got my picks off of Amazon; a couple of years back. Man have they jumped in price; they're now advertised for about $50.00: that's nuts?
If I had to replace the ones I have now; I'd be making a set out of 1" wood doweling (Broom handle) and 1/8" stainless wire.

Dan.

just wondering how heavy are most spud bars. thinking of making one .how long is handle

Got my picks off of Amazon; a couple of years back. Man have they jumped in price; they're now advertised for about $50.00: that's nuts?
If I had to replace the ones I have now; I'd be making a set out of 1" wood doweling (Broom handle) and 1/8" stainless wire.

Dan.
Ya i will probably build a set! There hard to find now everyone has gone soft. stop makin them due to liability reasons lol. i was at bass pro they had none said they sold retractable ones but they cant sell em cause someone stabbed themselves.

just wondering how heavy are most spud bars. thinking of making one .how long is handle
I made mine from a thick shovel handle put hollow pipe on end made it alittle longer so i could get 6' hight i had a space in tube so put solid round stock in for weight.heavier the base the easier cutting. And make sure you try it out. how many swings does it take to go through inch so that way you know.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks