Off Topic Home made kicker electronic throttle

FrankProbst

I made an electronic throttle control for my Suzuki 8 hp kicker today. It works great. I can control my trolling speed from the drivers seat now. No more running to the back of the boat to make adjustments. It has very fine control of the speed. I made it out of parts from amazon. The bracket, I made myself from aluminum. Total cost around $80. A lot cheaper then troll master for $500 plus.

Attachments

• 505DA6F5-A30D-4FBB-BA59-67832D806529.jpeg
    505DA6F5-A30D-4FBB-BA59-67832D806529.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 349
  • 345C642E-24F7-44BB-A577-B3CBEB9A4AD8.jpeg
    345C642E-24F7-44BB-A577-B3CBEB9A4AD8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 349
I was wondering if you'd be able to tell me how you wired your kicker motor throttle control. I tried to make one and have my servo mounted on my kicker motor but cant figure out how it wire it up. Thanks

I was wondering if you'd be able to tell me how you wired your kicker motor throttle control. I tried to make one and have my servo mounted on my kicker motor but cant figure out how it wire it up. Thanks

Momentary switch at the dash. Most boats will have an accy and ground stud at the dash to use and a water tight connector such as weatherpac or deutsch at the motor if you plan on removing the kicker repeatedly.

I was wondering on what parts he used and how it is wired up.
Momentary switch at the dash. Most boats will have an accy and ground stud at the dash to use and a water tight connector such as weatherpac or deutsch at the motor if you plan on removing the kicker repeatedly.

You need a heavy duty waterproof rc servo. To control the servo you need a servo tester. This has a knob on it to test the movement of the servo. The servo tester mounts to your dash. The servo tester and servo require a 5 volt power source. You will need a voltage reducer.

These 3 items are about 60 to 80 dollars on amazon.

The power in on the voltage reducer goes to your 12 volt battery with a toggle switch and fuse. The 5 volt output on the voltage reducer goes to the input of the servo tester. The servo plugs into the servo tester. You will need to extend the wires on the servo so it will reach the back of your boat.

Attachments

• EEB8A1CE-5223-4E18-8DC8-83C265215339.png
    EEB8A1CE-5223-4E18-8DC8-83C265215339.png
    836.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 9137A060-782D-47A5-9FF2-6DE954226842.png
    9137A060-782D-47A5-9FF2-6DE954226842.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • 592104A1-AA56-48C3-8789-693B770E437F.png
    592104A1-AA56-48C3-8789-693B770E437F.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 156
You need a heavy duty waterproof rc servo. To control the servo you need a servo tester. This has a knob on it to test the movement of the servo. The servo tester mounts to your dash. The servo tester and servo require a 5 volt power source. You will need a voltage reducer.

These 3 items are about 60 to 80 dollars on amazon.

The power in on the voltage reducer goes to your 12 volt battery with a toggle switch and fuse. The 5 volt output on the voltage reducer goes to the input of the servo tester. The servo plugs into the servo tester. You will need to extend the wires on the servo so it will reach the back of your boat.
Awesome thank you

This sounds like a project I would like to tackle ( LOL ). On my Honda 9.9. Would this also work on a mercruiser 4.3 I/O?

Not t sure if it would work on 4.3 I/0. I’d have to see how the throttle linkage works. If something in the servo malfunctions you’ll be in big trouble with a runaway boat. On a small kicker it wouldn’t be a big deal if something went wrong. I wouldn’t mess with the throttle on a larger motor. Too dangerous in my opinion.

I made an electronic throttle control for my Suzuki 8 hp kicker today. It works great. I can control my trolling speed from the drivers seat now. No more running to the back of the boat to make adjustments. It has very fine control of the speed. I made it out of parts from amazon. The bracket, I made myself from aluminum. Total cost around $80. A lot cheaper then troll master for $500 plus.
I know this is a old thread. It came up on my search. What size of inline fuse did you use on the 5 volt. 2 amp . I will be trying this on my old 15 hp kicker. Thank you for sharing this.

Awesome. I'm totally going to do this next. It's just how to do the brackets to mount the servo that I can't really get my head around.

Awesome. I'm totally going to do this next. It's just how to do the brackets to mount the servo that I can't really get my head around.
Ya understandable I’m lucky in that area I’m a welder/fabricator so no big deal I tig welded onto one the existing brackets on the engine

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks