Home electronics... Non fishing...

jammer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have a Panasonic blu ray surround sound receiver that needs to be fixed... Its 12 years old but high quality... I believe it's something simple (module/solenoid)...

Does anyone have a local electronic guy that's fair/reasonable?

I don't want to pay $200 for something simple or to be told it can't be fixed...

I'd hate to junk it as it has 6 speakers and a sub...

If you want to drive to Ingersoll, Ken Schurr at Schurr Electronics on Thames Street is pretty good.

Wouldn’t the speakers work with any new receiver @jammer ? There’s likely some salvageable scrap in that old Panny…

Are the speakers 6ohm? (They should say on there) Is the sub self powered and have an RCA able input? If so these components can be reused with a new receiver.

If the speakers aren't or don't say, or the sub is powered by the amp, perhaps it's not worth trying to save.

I hear you @jammer, but, IMHO, it would also be waste putting $200+ into a 12 year old receiver. Stuff ain't made to be fixed anymore.

There might be fuses inside that are blown. Don't know what it is or isn't doing. Worth checking.

Unhook the speakers and even take batteries out of remote {if there is one}. Try again and even try different receptacle. If it now stays on, hook speakers up checking after each one is connected. Check for excessive dust buildup as well. That's as deep of troubleshooting as I get. Hope this helps narrow it down.

12 year old equipment isn't old enough to pour money into. 30 year old name brand stereo yes.

Hi jammer,

Not sure how close you are to Brantford , but rick over at "electronic repair depot" fixed the auto stop switches for my big Jon's. Super nice guy and very reasonable. I can send you a picture of his card tomorrow.

Unhook the speakers and even take batteries out of remote {if there is one}. Try again and even try different receptacle. If it now stays on, hook speakers up checking after each one is connected. Check for excessive dust buildup as well. That's as deep of troubleshooting as I get. Hope this helps narrow it down.
i will try the dust and batteries thing... others have been tried...

Hi jammer,

Not sure how close you are to Brantford , but rick over at "electronic repair depot" fixed the auto stop switches for my big Jon's. Super nice guy and very reasonable. I can send you a picture of his card tomorrow.
i am 20 minutes south of Brantford... ;)

Hi jammer,

Rick and Chris 519 758 5351

All my stereo equipment is 10 plus years old and is very good quality. Look what it would cost to replace it with same sound quality and $200 plus dollars may be the way to go. A friend takes his older higher end components to a guy in K/W who fixes them in his garage.

It turns on and then shuts off...
same thing happened to my favourite satellite box, was capacitors that eventually over heated and burned out. There were 6 at the top of the box and 3 of them were toast.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks