Holguin, Cuba - Deep Sea Fishing

BallEye2

My son is heading to Cuba this weekend for a quick vacation in the sun and asked me if he should go deep sea fishing. I have no experience with a Deep Sea excursion in Cuba - anyone have any experience? Good outfitter? Recommendations?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
Balleye

My son is heading to Cuba this weekend for a quick vacation in the sun and asked me if he should go deep sea fishing. I have no experience with a Deep Sea excursion in Cuba - anyone have any experience? Good outfitter? Recommendations?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
Balleye
Yes absolutely go !!

Got a couple mahi mahi last time there. Also there was a tour that took a bunch out to a reef, good fishing and cheap. Don't remember the name but you got fed in a national park. Cubans are fishing crazy but they can't get equipment . Gov owns the boats and gear so the captains get what they get. Buy a lure or 2 from basspro salt and give it to the boat and you'll make their week.

Shore fished in Veradero last time I was there. Met a few locals doing the same. Gave 1 guy a gold/black husky jerk he said it would be great for barracuda. He offered to take me out to a reef on his fishing boat the next day for free! Just for the 1 lure.. We had to fly out at 10am or I would've been happy to go. Gave away 1/2 the tackle I brought with me. Locals only had basic stuff, hooks etc.

Went fishing in cuba abt 10 years ago with a couple guys with a charter from one of the reorts had a great time didnt catch much but was a great day had fresh lobster dinner prepared on board

Depending on where he is going in holguin you can just run out with the guys at the beach on the catamarans for some fun for an hour or two. They don’t have good equipment, but I brought a junk rod and some tackle, we caught two baracuda and lost a tarpon, no way we were getting that landed anyways.

Depending on where he is going in holguin you can just run out with the guys at the beach on the catamarans for some fun for an hour or two. They don’t have good equipment, but I brought a junk rod and some tackle, we caught two baracuda and lost a tarpon, no way we were getting that landed anyways.
Thats what we do at Playa Pescero in Holguin. I take some extra budy baits, line, etc and leave them for a couple of the guys. They take me daily on the cats and I give them the fish. They love me. I also take a paddle boat out and troll or jig the drop-offs.. lots of fish.

Just back from a week at Veradero Cuba, 4 resorts or so from the Malia Marina Veradero.

Didn't go fishing as that wasn't the purpose of the trip.

Only saw one deep sea boat out our shore once, and again, only once, a little single cylinder diesel putting along through the shallows, 2 guys with a cast net which unfortunately was never thrown once. They worked the whole shoreline as far as I could watch, repeatedly circling as they came into and eventually moved beyond my ability to see them.

I was in Cayo Coco last week. Not fishing but kiteboard hydrofoiling. Saw lots of Needle fish. Schools of flying fish and I hit a Barracuda with my hydrofoil. The flying fish are fantastic to see them skipping across the surface.

My brother in law is heading to Cayo Coco end of January if anyone has any insight into fishing guides would be great.
I will definitely tell him to bring some tackle to leave behind.

well I had a great fishin adventure & travel within Cuba...that was 26 years ago..after a great time being single in Havana..I got caught buyin another ticket.. I took a small plane south to an island Cayo Largo and fished with an italian sport fishing club owner with his #1 cuban guide first fishin the flats poppers jigs...tarpon & bonefish...and trollin the reefs for grouper and bottom fishin jacks & snapper...this guy had top of the line fishing equipment..fly rod to a new skiff boat..the rule was if a barracuda crushes the bait that you choose to use a YOZURI for groupers...you own it..buy it...ya I have 2 of those souviners..lol..ya the fishin was good and the grouper/snapper tasted great..

I have his old contact & mapping & private photos tucked away at home..you can google cubas cayo largo fishing/marina...I just did with sport fishing oppurtunity..not what it used to be...tarpon back then were pushin upwards of 200 lbs..
ya the plane ride was short and worth the fun/trip...I stayed at a hotel/pelican for 4 nights...now I read you can stay on a boat right at a fishing flat location..

If blue water deep sea trollin is a priority ...I honestly reccomend punta cana DR..its a user friendly fun fishin in the warm sun trip ...there was direct flights out of london airport..

just over a mile out the drop off..ya start trollin on a well equipped 36ft+ sport fishin boat with experienced capt./fishermen.. ...ya its deep enough you see a whale...catch dorados sailfish wahoos marlin in that order..inshore bottom fishin variety available...squid/shrimps on spinning rods..small punt boat off the beach..
I was there Jan. 2015...price to share a charter was $70 U.S. and I tip the guy to clean my dorado fillets..
I try to pick a high tide in the morning on a last minute trip out...its carribean windy season...ya avoid the wind where & when ya can..

hope that info helps a few thats going fishing soon..

2014 moose hunt and punta cana vacation 098.JPG2014 moose hunt and punta cana vacation 027.JPG2014 moose hunt and punta cana vacation 066.JPG

Last edited:
theres a couple punta cana fish...
i will post a few 35 mm cayo largo cuba fish later..
can some body else post a few cuba fish...
I don't believe that headline the island with no fish..
the article dosen't state the new regulation changes..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks