Off Topic Hiring Help

Make sure you look at all your costs before hiring or agreeing on an amount. You will/should have WSIB premiums and other legislated costs to consider. I don't mean to be negative about it but what if your employee gets hurt while on duty? A cash or non-written employment agreement could cost you your business if something goes wrong. All I am saying is make sure you know what you have to do first then see if it is worth it for you. Even someone working for free for you should have some type of agreement to keep both of you looked after should something go wrong.

I can see the mates job on the fishing charter as something pretty casual..the ones Ive fished with down south were dependent on tips but they did well...Mick might be able to comment a bit more with his experience.
As far as a mate with the C-Tow...that position sounds much more demanding of a persons skill and training...plus the risks associated with the job. The fishing mate might be pretty "casual" but I doubt the C-Tow would be..ie..insurance, WSIB, Min of Labor, etc.

I would think a sub contractor may be the way to go. Just like the way I am with C -Tow. Responsible for my own insurances and min of transportation requirements keeping my vessel up to code

I can see the mates job on the fishing charter as something pretty casual..the ones Ive fished with down south were dependent on tips but they did well..

At the rates charged in Ontario for a charter I don't think its fair for the customer to be responsible to also pay extra (tip) for a helper via tip. I'm fine tipping but I would expect that everyone working on the boat would be compensated fairly regardless of how much I tip.

Take with a grain a salt - I spent a lot of time on HR issues, commercial insurance, and liability lawsuits in transportation (including a fatality lawsuit), so I am probably a little punch shy....if you haven't had an employee before just know everything changes when you do. It's no big deal until something goes sidewise, then it can get ugly fast if you don't have everything lined up. The wage is only one part of the picture. Be sure to spend a bit of time exploring the other aspects of becoming a boss (as mentioned above, WSIB, remittances, safety policies, and documented training. Defence lawyer mantra - if you don't have a document, it didn't happen, and we're ....) If you are going to put someone in charge of the C-Tow, consider some liability insurance - a mistake out there could be costly, and not just from a boat perspective. You are gonna be federally regulated as a boat operator - happy to share what to avoid sometime if you're interested.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks