Off Topic Hiring Help

Fish Whisperer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
As my business grows I find myself in need of an assistant. With the larger groups a second on board helps speed up the process of running gear. Also with C-Tow a second is a must. The question is that since this is a seasonal on call business how does one calculate financial compensation

I agree that peice work is the only logical choice. What would be a fair percentage gross per charter since all expenses come out of my share and they would only supply labour ?

Would imagine consideration to how you pay any help i.e. cash or otherwise.
Would think their earnings should work out per hour a little more than minimum wage - but do not know the norm in the business.
Then of course you’d have to work out any tips, as I’ve been on some charters down south where assistant only works for tips, others where I’ve tipped both Captain and assistant, and others where I’ve just added a tip to cost and given it all to captain.
Only commenting as you asked, as don’t know the norm or what I’d pay. Maybe there are other Charters that could help. I’ve been on some 50 footers in Lake Ontario where most have a helper.
Definitely per charter they are onboard to assist.

Think about hiring a student. This is just an example (and not a solicitation by me for my son!!!) .. Again, just an example, my son has been fishing with me for a good 5 years now and has his boater's license. He's 17 (can drive to work). He has operated riggers, dipsys, leadcore and large planer board masts with harnesses, spoons, body baits etc. Plenty of kids like that around and would cost you very little I think even on peice work because you can consider it an apprenticeship. With schools being 2 or 3 days in classroom and the rest at home - you might be able to use a student right into the fall. I am sure - plenty of kids like him are around and would jump at the chance.

Lets not get the cart before the horse gentleman. I dont believe in a person having to rely on tips for pay. To me tips are not always a true reflection of a persons value. Some people cannot afford large tips or have a different percentage they use. I do not wish to go down that road. I would think a fair wage for hard day work is responsibility of Captain for his help. Any tips would be an appreciation from guest for going over and beyond for service rendered.

Ask other charters what they pay their guys. Go from there. If you get a guy who is really good, pay him a bit more. I used to cut down trees part time. I had all the gear, went out and found the business, paid for insurance etc. I had a buddy that worked for me. I paid him almost as much as I paid myself on some jobs because he worked relentlessly hard, and would barely stop for a sandwich. He made me money in shortening times spent at jobs and he knew exactly what he was doing so there was no babysitting. That was worth a lot to me. If he was a do nothing I’d have paid appropriately. You may have to cycle through a few guys until you find one that works out.

I would think a fellow like Trevor might make a good first mate ( if his wife allows)...some people would not want a ton of money but just the experience.....

That's kind of you @BigHappy, I wish I could, but I wouldn't be able to do it for 2 reasons, and it's got nothing to do with whether my wife would allow it or not. (although I would definitely be checking with her first. Remember, I'm maybe a little bit crazy, but I'm not stupid;):LOL: )

Reason # 1---I'm still learning. While I know how to set dipseys, and leadcore in the water, I'm still learning how to use planers, both large boards and inline.....but I can't set downriggers, not because I don't know how too, but because the position I'd have to be in to set them, there's a very good chance that I might not be able to get back up again which leads to reason #2......

Reason #2--- I know what my limitations are. Going out once in a while is one thing, but going out on a daily/regular basis, no way my body can handle it and I'm always reminded of that the day after I've gone fishing, whether that's just a trip to the pier or I've gone out with someone in their boat. IE I went fishing yesterday and I'm definitely feeling it today :inpain: as I always do the day after,;) but in a couple days the inflammation in my back, hips and shoulders will settle down to "my normal" tolerances and I'll be thinking about going fishing again, but that might be as far as it goes, just thinking about it. Depends on what I have going on around here.;)

I work part time and have an on call week as each of us does there.We do have a phone to carry so a basic weekday and weekend wage is paid to carry the phone.When we get called in then we go to our hourly wage when called in.A fair wage per hour when assisting on charters could be negotiated between the 2 of you.

To answer the question Fish Whisperer asked, I agree with what others have said and would consider hiring a student. It gives them some experience, or expands the experience they may already have, and it gets you the help you're looking for. But with any position like this it might be a frustrating venture until you find someone you can trust and rely on. As for the wage, what you pay is really up to you based on what you can afford to pay them, which in turn will be decided by how many charters you have and/or perhaps how many cancelled charters you may have because of weather, or a client backing out. I think the first thing you have to do is look at your books and figure out in your own mind what you can afford to pay someone, then negotiate with the person you intend to hire so that both of you can live with it.

You might want to look at student wage subsidies from the Government as well. Could be good for both of you.

I would stay away from students... unless you are doing afternoon charters.... :rolleyes:

Your season is done in a month is it even worth it this late in the game??

I’ll hold Devins beer while he works the deck and heckle him....free of charge.

Your hired Devin ...... aahhh what is the type of work you do. :sleep::unsure:😂👉👈LOL!

As a technology worker in this covid day and age, I am grateful to have a day job where I can continue to work and from home.

That said, if I was able to get out in my own or others boat more often and help share my experience, knowledge or helping hands, I’d do it in a heartbeat as I enjoy trolling walleye and helping others. Especially the noobies.

Similar to as others have suggested, perhaps someone on the forum can recommend a student or young adult who is jacked up about fishing! You could also consider building out a “team” or pool of diehards who may be interested in being occasional part time helping hands. Pay them cash and/or compensate with fish or free charter slots as this can also be a great way to test them and get to know them better. Who knows, as the door of helpers revolves, 1-2 just may click and stick.

All the best!

As my business grows I find myself in need of an assistant. With the larger groups a second on board helps speed up the process of running gear. Also with C-Tow a second is a must. The question is that since this is a seasonal on call business how does one calculate financial compensation
If you decide to have a first mate I can do it next year.you can reach me at my email. dwatkins025@gmail.com

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks