Help settle an arguement, please.

Bassassin

On Sunday Featherstone Ted broke a good downrigger rod at the 2 piece joint just after the cannonball went off. He says it was a big fish, I say the rod was old and had some stress cracks in it. I have broken a rod at the butt end fighting a big fish, like the Stingray I had on with my freshwater medium action rod in Florida but never at the joint.

Big fish or old rod? What do the experts say?

Could have been a few factors contributing to this. First of all the drag system should have helped the release of the fish strike, next I would say the rod was partially damaged in that area. Last of all which happened to me was the line at the tip managed to curl around the eye therefore the drag would not peel out causing this to happen. Sometimes you would think they would break at the tip,but not always. Had to be a damaged ferrule and other things mentioned which helped break the rod. And not really a big fish, these rods are strong and should be able to handle a release.

Upper section probably not seated in all the way. I've seen some very expensive steelhead blanks blow up from the owner being in a hurry to get the first drift in and not seating the rod together properly.

Lighten up on the drag, unless it was one of those rigger rods they made that was 100 % graphite. They were garbage.
How old was this rod and what make? Could it have been damaged before he used it?

O K I agree with theoracle44 could have been a big fish, i mentioned a few things to try to narrow it down but when it hits and releases and your running heavy line and try to stop this monster if the drag is not set good or not at all your either going to maybe break the line first or break your rod so my answer is the drag was not set right! In lake Ontario I run 20 lb test with a 14 lb leader.If trouble happens the leader always goes first, never let me down,and we all no that! who knows,you guys are all good fisherman in my book and its probably happened to you too....happy fishing!

Why is it always a big-big-BIG! fish especially when it gets away. I say drag much too tight, rod cracked, line to heavy and snagged on bottom. But you say BIG fish, if that's your story and your sticking to it and I were you, I'd be getting a bigger rod. :p

As you guys may have noticed I like all the responses that agree with me.

I didn't mention that Ted had the rod in hand when it exploded, he said about 10 seconds after he pulled the rod from the holder.

I have to say this guy can fish and he has hundreds of hours under his belt, maybe a thousand or more, so preparation and technique wasn't an issue. His father in law and he chartered Ontario out of St. Kitts and then 50 Point in the spring and early summer, then moved the 35 footer to Nanticoke In July for Walleye, then off to Quinte in the fall for big, big Walleye then guided for ice fishing out of Napanee.

The rig was an older Shimano with a good quality Penn reel. This guy is meticulous with his equipment, if a ferrule has a nick on it he changes the guide. This is a guy that strips line, re ties, checks the swivel and has the same exact lure on standby pre sharpened before resetting, then sharpens the lure that the fish hit ready to go. That's why I say the rod had a stress fracture in it. Or as someone said it was a big fish and cracked rod.

Or he hit a land mine from the War of 1812.

As you guys may have noticed I like all the responses that agree with me.

I didn't mention that Ted had the rod in hand when it exploded, he said about 10 seconds after he pulled the rod from the holder.

I have to say this guy can fish and he has hundreds of hours under his belt, maybe a thousand or more, so preparation and technique wasn't an issue. His father in law and he chartered Ontario out of St. Kitts and then 50 Point in the spring and early summer, then moved the 35 footer to Nanticoke In July for Walleye, then off to Quinte in the fall for big, big Walleye then guided for ice fishing out of Napanee.

The rig was an older Shimano with a good quality Penn reel. This guy is meticulous with his equipment, if a ferrule has a nick on it he changes the guide. This is a guy that strips line, re ties, checks the swivel and has the same exact lure on standby pre sharpened before resetting, then sharpens the lure that the fish hit ready to go. That's why I say the rod had a stress fracture in it. Or as someone said it was a big fish and cracked rod.

Or he hit a land mine from the War of 1812.

right on:D

I have to add no it wasn't the cruiser they used in Quinte in the fall, it was the 22 foot Starcraft he uses now.

Thanks to all that replied, It's a draw, bad rod, big fish.

Do me a favor, his handle is " no fish" on 6-8, ask him how his rod is holding up, should be out Friday or Saturday, or both.

Could it be possible that he simply stepped on the rod and he just used that story to explain why the rod got broke? :D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks