Help needed with sticking plug-in pedestal seats

redriverguy

My pedestals are the plug-in type. Everytime I try to remove them to change the seating position they are extremely hard to get out. It is a real struggle. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Leave the seat attached to the pedestal and locked in the forward position so it can't swivel. Push in the the button close to the floor to release the lock in the floor mount while twisting the seat a 1/4 turn. Use the seat, twisting back and forth while lifting up on the seat. I've found this much easier than trying to get a grip on just the post to pull it out with the seat off.

I used a wire cup brush mounted to my hand drill. Takes the oxide layer off I think. It helped for me.

Did the same thing as “soup”. Oxidation makes them hard to pull out. Some have a pvc liner that helps the sticking problem. From time to time they have to be pulled apart and buffed up.

My pedestals are the plug-in type. Everytime I try to remove them to change the seating position they are extremely hard to get out. It is a real struggle. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?
remove the pedestals and give the a light cleaning to remove crud. allow them to dry and spray a light coat of white grease. should last the better part of the season reaply as necessary.

I had the same issue with the seat pedestals in my old Lund. They were the taper bottomed type of mount. Once I finally got them out, I cleaned up the socket and applied a liberal coating of paraffin wax (an old birthday number candle). It worked great, there is no 'grease' to get all over anything that comes in contact and the pedestals slip in and out without sticking. My newer boat has the straight socket version of the pedestals and I continue to use the wax solution.

Slippery when wet boys; we all should know that?
When a pedestal got stuck, I'd reach over the side and grab a cup of water. Pour it on the pedestal mount while giving it a good shake. Once things got wet out she'd pop; I always have that problem? LOL

Dan.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks