Help me choose

GPS

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I am putting a new 9.9 on my boat and want to steer without my wife or passenger sitting in the seat and steering. Your opinions on Panther Steer or Intellisteer or others would be greatly appreciated.

I made mine out of threaded rod and couple of nuts, doesn't look the greatest but only cost $7.50 to make. You can buy quick attach ball joints as seen in the pick below but I am having a hard time finding them. With the ball joints you just have to drop kicker and attach. I will note that I have only done this on an outboard and don't know if it is possible on a I/o and you do not have throttle control but makes it a little easier on a budget.

168.jpg

Not really remote steering but the quick connect ball joints can be bought on Amazon:

They are 3/8" fine thread though so you can either thread your own rod or buy a piece somewhere if you can find it. I made mine out of aluminum rod, threaded the ends and put a full length shrink sleeve over the rod to pretty it up a bit.

I steer my boat with my minn kota bow mount with GPS tracking .The control is around my neck can let it steer
or adjust on my own.I only run it at 20% power just enough to steer and lasts all day. The kicker is just locked straight
and set for speed

The steering rod attachment is what I want to get away from.

I have a P anther,remote steer an (y)speed control.just love it(y)-(panther control systems .com)

I steer my boat with my minn kota bow mount with GPS tracking .The control is around my neck can let it steer
or adjust on my own.I only run it at 20% power just enough to steer and lasts all day. The kicker is just locked straight
and set for speed
what kind of batteries are you using ? I'm looking to hook up the same kind of operation.

and set for speed

That's exactly what I was doing on my old boat too and it works great. I do like to have the kicker tie bar hooked up if there's a lot of boats around in just in case I need to make a evasive maneuver however. The 80lb terrova will run 12 hours on a pair of size 27 deep cycles at a 3 or 4 setting.

As far as kicker steering units go I was looking at the Panther T-5 unit due it's nice small size and the fact it will connect with an I-troll or Trollmaster speed control unit for single remote steering & speed. For now on the new boat I am going to run the terrova for steering along with the I-troll on the kicker and see how it goes.

Last edited:
I am setup to use a 9.9hp kicker with my existing Minkota I-Pilot this year. Also new for this year will be the I-Troll speed control.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks