Help Finding a Good Fishing/Camping Northern Ontario

Goonie

Hey guys me and my dad plan on doing a camping fishing trip for a week in August. Im looking for some help in finding some decent areas to do so. We will be Tent Camping. Any suggestions would be great.

If you want to stay in a tent I would go to Algonquin Park. They can set you up with all the gear you need or you can use your own. Living in a tent can be a little ruff so my personal favorite up north trip is to go to Temagami and rent a houseboat. The houseboat is definitely more comfortable especially if you get some bad weather, but you can still move everyday and explore the lake your in. A solid roof, a propane fridge and stove not to mention a furnace if its necessary are great things to have other wise your trip may not be so much as a vacation as an ordeal.

A house boat sure ups the cost factor.
Lake Temagami area has some sites on crown land which are free but strictly on a first come basis.
Provincial Park also on Lake Temagami.

How far north do you want to go and what do you want to fish for? If you have a canoe and know what you are doing I highly recommend Lake Superior Provincial Park. There are a lot of canoe trips that put on some amazing fishing lakes and streams. Hardly anyone goes there (or used to).

The furthest we will go is Timmin's Ontario, I know a few people there so possibly somewhere around there would be good. Yea houseboat sounds awesome, but a little costly. Were defiantly going to be tent camping to cut cost there so we have more for fishing :D.

Were Interested In Bass, Pike, Walleye,Musky. Whatever will be in season the Week of August 10th

I would suggest camping in a Provincial park,the facilities are clean,the campsites are usually very spaced and private,most have very good docking and boat ramps that are included in your stay. Some have excellent hiking trails and offer back campsites. You will not have to worry about guys cutting the grass or storage sheds and decks on their sites. The parks in northern ontario offer some great camping and fishing and I have stayed at many over the years. The favourite of mine is Restoule provincial Park. The park offers great campsites,some right on the lake with boat beaching. They also have several back country sites that are boat in only,first come first served all inside the park surrounded by crown land.The park has great ramps and docking on both restoule and stormy. The lakes have very good fishing for walleye,musky,bass,pike and lake trout and these lakes have very little traffic and pressure. The small town has everything you will need a couple eaterys,beerstore,groceries,bait public dock,legion. north Bay is only 40 minutes away.

Great time to head up North. Black flies and Mosquito's will be done by then.....

Below are a few spots that maybe of interest:
1. Is Onaping Lake which is near Sudbury. Great fishing for walleye/pike/bass/Lakers. The lake is easily accessed by main road and has lots of great spots to set up camp. For august I would recommend fishing the north end of the lake. The best fishing would be about 30 plus miles from the launch point but you can do fairly well around the main part of the lake.

2. Is a lake call Ramsey which is between Sudbury and Timmins. Head north On hwy 144 and turn left (toward Sulton) and the watershed truck stop/hwy 560 intersection. This lake produces great walleye/pike/bass. It is easily accessed from the north end of the lake and has great camping spots throughout. If you decide to go with this lake you will need lots of fuel to get to the better fishing spots. In August they will be more difficult to catch so change up and keep the speed very very slow. This lake is part of the Spanish River system, start with the mouth of the river, work your way into the bay and you'll catch fish.........

3. Is a lake called Stumpy in Gowganda, excellent walleye/bass. This is again between Sudbury and Timmins off hwy 560. You need to portage from Gowganda lake and tuff to get to but once there the fishing is fantastic.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your adventure in the North!!

Check out Portage Bay Lodge on the Montreal river. I go back every year...the fishing is excellent! www. portagebay lodge.ca

Awesome guys, thank you for all the Options. Going to mention some to my father and see what he thinks. Ill keep you guys updated on where we go.

Again Thanks

3 Corner Lake just before Sultan Rd turnoff on 144 is another great walleye lake. Camping spots a stone throw away from the launch. Lots of fun. Great fishing and alot of drinking

If you don't mind leaving the vehicle behind and doing a boat in(there is a portage over a dam,, think the guy charges $30, to trailer you around it) lady Evelyn lake near new liskeard. Incredible fishing for walleyes, good smallmouth and some pike. Get a map for the lake and go to the big end of it.

Back