Helix 5

Bay_Fishing

Looking at purchasing a helix 5 for my 18 foot legend xcalibur looking for your reviews and pros cons easy to use hard to use, should I get di or Si , yes I want gps what are your thoughts on these units if you have had one or have one I'm open to info thanks.

Do you have your heart set on a Helix 5? Have you looked at the Simrad products? If not take a look you won’t be disappointed. I went from a Helix 5 to a Simrad Go7 XSE.
As for DI or SI, what do you mainly fish for cause after a certain depth neither are worth using from my understanding.

Not dead set on the helix and I'll take at look at those simrad units and inner bay to the point mainly Is my fishing area. Just would like something up to date and easy to use. Thanks for the info @rockin-steelhead

Helix's are great units.
I would avoid the gen 1's. Which if you're buying new shouldn't be an issue.
Si is great if you tend to fish shallower water.
I have a helix 5 si, and wish I bought atleast a 7. If you have the money, I would recommend going a little bigger. Especially with si. It's a lot of information to get from a small screen.
Good luck!

This subject is like jumping down the rabbit hole. The humminbird units are great. I personally own some g2 helix 10s and love them. But, I have had the opportunity to use other.units by other manufactures. I come to.realize each have there specialized or outstanding features but the main guidance I would recommend is... 1. Your budget 2. try out a few before you buy 3.SET Up correctly once purchased 4. keep in mind ease of use and more isnt always best. Units with gps, sd card, short cut buttons, depth lighting and dual frequencies are.best, and will provide longer lasting purchase satisfaction. But, just my thoughts..

Really like the Helix as well but I would agree with going as big as possible depending on budget and allowable space. The si is handy for finding different bottom profiles in shallower water or sometimes schools of fish in deeper waters but that said I don’t use it all the time.

I got the helix 7 G2 di si
Simple to use I dont use often the si feature as I fish mostly the big water
I got the ice fishing package for it this year so its serv a dual season really like the GPS option for ice fishing as well

If you are going to use it on big water, especially Erie, all you really need is a Sonar (other than GPS). Period. You do not need any DI or SI functions. Even when I go to a cottage for a week up north, I don't use these functions.

If your budget allows, get a bigger screen, you WILL NOT regret it. I have the same boat and I went from 688 through Helix 7 to Helix 10.

I only have a 14ft aluminium & use a helix 5 di.
Wish I went to a helix 7 or bigger.

Just my thought

Since I bought my first flasher, I've had Hummingbird and Lowrance. Now have Simrad Go9 all worked fine. Side scan and Down image are not required. I barely use either, I mostly troll. I also would recommend the bigger screen . I do like the fact the Simrad updates in my driveway via wifi.

I went with Helix 9 last year and like others have said bigger is definitely better. These new units with the split screens need the bigger screens in order to take advance of all the info. Also who sits on top of their unit, you can still see the larger screen from the other side of the boat, not so with the 5. You may only use the di or Si occasionally but can’t use it if you didn’t buy it.

Thank you everyone for all you input and info. I have no problem with going bigger lol and probably will. And I will look at all the options and opinions you have gave me again thank you to all who have responded. ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks