Heading out Saturday

Sylvan14

Hi guys looking for some input for tomorrow. I have been reading that east winds are not good for Erie. Could someone please tell me why? Also i would like to go for eyes and perch tomorrow. Is the perch out near the silver barn or between Burwell and Bruce? Also my first walleye trolling experience was a bust. Since then i have upgraded my rods and bought a Lowrance elite 4 with GPS.

if the forecast is write it will be fine out there but if it picks up speed get in close quick it is supposed to go 10k NE and change to 5k south which will make the lake flat IF they are right LOL

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove,X-zone Lures, IMA Lures and Numa Optics for their support

Hi guys, I'm very new to all of this (fishing/boating/weather info.) and have been trying to sort out all the different weather reports, so when I read the reply about tomorro, suggesting that the lake would be flat....I became even more confused because on the weather site link that I got to from the top of Stomp's home page, there was a strong wind warning for Sat. for E. Lake Erie...which site is most reliable. I hope that this reply/question is still considerd to be in refference to the original question and not a 'highjacking'. Help!

Whenever I got out fishing or duck hunting on the big water, I use these two sites and have found they are both very accurate.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=11&siteID=07503

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lake_erie_east_buoy

East winds arent always bad for fishing. But usually east winds are stronger and will move the water temperatures around a lot more. By the looks of things, the water temp will probably be down 6-8 degrees from wednesday.. fishing will most likely be a lot different this weekend than last weekend.
the forecast looks like winds will die down overnight/morning, tomorrow morning will probably not be calm. the wind will have hopefully died down but you will still have some good sized rollers. Tomorrow afternoon/evening will be a better bet to get out on a calm lake.

logo-1.jpg

www.southcoastcharter.com
southcoastcharter@gmail.com

Thanks everyone. I only have a 14ft boat so i will see what it is like in the AM. Looking to be on the water by 6:30-7:00am. How will this water temp drop effect the walleye? I am thinking if it rough we will fish for perch then if the water calms down we go out and troll.

Out on Lake Erie in a 14' boat for Walleye? I've never had the guts to venture out that far in mine. I stick a bit closer to shore looking for perch when I get down there.

I'm not trying to discourage you Sylvan14 but to go the distance you need to go out on Erie for walleye you better be sure it is a beautiful calm day! That's taking quite a risk to go 6 or 8 miles out in a 14ft boat. I've seen Erie blow up from flat to 3ft waves in a matter of half hour. Again not trying to bash you just a word of caution. Good luck fishing

quote:
Originally posted by bowtry

Hi guys, I'm very new to all of this (fishing/boating/weather info.) and have been trying to sort out all the different weather reports, so when I read the reply about tomorro, suggesting that the lake would be flat....I became even more confused because on the weather site link that I got to from the top of Stomp's home page, there was a strong wind warning for Sat. for E. Lake Erie...which site is most reliable. I hope that this reply/question is still considerd to be in refference to the original question and not a 'highjacking'. Help!

Yeah it could rough in the early am but when the winds switch from NE to light southerlies it will lay down BUT if they are wrong and the wind blows hard out south it will not be the place to be in a 14'er I went out deep a few times in my 14'er but I'm not that smart LOL

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove,X-zone Lures, IMA Lures and Numa Optics for their support

Hi Sylvan, I too troll from a 14' boat and have done so many times as did my father-in-law in his day. The key is to choose your days very carefully. Unlike the old days when they used to have to drive all the way to the lake to see what it was like(crazy), we now have the luxury of sitting in our homes and scout information on the net. If anything I would argue that I am more safe than some of the bigger boats 'cause they think they can manage big water where as I know that I cannot. I also like August the best as the predictions tend to be more acurate than june and sept IMO;)

Gone fishing, be back at dark-thirty!

I've always wanted to try getting out there in my boat... offers a bit of comfort to see that others have done it. Tomorrow appears to be offering a glimmer of opportunity; Hmmmm... I have my son with me though - highly doubt my wife would look favourably on that decision if I did decide to go out! Will most likely spend the day trying to get the little guy a bunch of perch. Regardless, I will definitely be out tomorrow.

I agree Perchinator, picking my days for sure. I really want to try out my gps fish finder and my new trolling rod though. Hopefully the weather holds up. Thanks again everyone. Still deciding to go towards the silver barn of between Bruce and Burwell for perch tomorrow. If anyone has way points for trolling or advice i appreciate it. Also Stomp runs an awesome site! Thanks Stomp!

Sylvan 14,I have a 16ft sylvan ,I check every weather station I can before I decide to go out. This lake is nasty if it turns.
Just be carefull out there.[V][V]

The weather/wind conditions are important to us all, it's great that so many folks have added info. and advise, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Sylvan14, not trying to lecture you but hoping to give some friendly advice from 50 years experience on Lake Erie in many sizes of boats, just a word of caution on venturing that far out in a 14 ft. boat. Even when the weather reports indicate a perfect day I've many times seen Erie turn into the nastiest water conditions imaginable in the matter of 10 minuets when a unpredicted violent summer storm moves in. Please believe me when I say that you will more than regret it if that happens when in a boat of that size. When it turns bad I have many times been very uncomfortable in a 25 footer. Being 7-12 miles out will quickly seem like a 100 miles when your in 5-7 foot waves or even higher and one mistake on your part can spell disaster.

Again, I'm not trying to lecture but I don't want to see you as another statistic either. Lake Erie has already claimed more than it's share of fisherman's lives. Wishing you many years of safe fishing so please stick closer to shore. 8D8D

Update on my day. Heading to Burwell from Woodstock at 5:30am on Saturday morning. We got to the marnia and they were out of minnows. Cruised up to Kingfisher and they were out also so we thought we would try frozen minnows. It was a slow ride out to the silver barn but we made it. Had the first perch in the boat 5min after anchor. The fish were biting so light and robbing minnows. We perched until 9:45. The lake turned to glass! We headed out 8miles keeping an eye on wind and waves. We were unsuccessful in trolling. the wind started to pick up about 11:00 so we headed for the port. Got enough perch for a few meals. Again thanks everyone for advice!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks