hay bay

heading down to hay bay on may 13 weekend. pickeral fishing. any tips or info would be great. asking for some help on a new pole and reel. again for pickeral.

Troll a silver CC Shad till the paint comes off it.

Big Rod
<'[[[[[[><
www.bigrodsguideservice.ca

I will be there the same time, but I'm just north of hay bay.
The tip on trolling a CC Shad till the paint comes off is not a joke. They are just killer on the walleye up there. In the early season, drift/troll a lucky strike vector spoon tipped with a worm is always a good bet. Try starting at Thompson's Point and troll/drift into hay bay trying to stay in 11-13 fow.
As for a good walleye rod/reel set up............dont know what kind of cash you want to spend, but if you go with a 6' - 6" to 7" St Croix med action rod and a Shimano Ci4 Stradic reel, you will never look back.

Good luck up there!

Teach a kid how to fish

Good luck on the trip Crave! Please give me a update when you get back. I am taking my son up there on the June 1 weekend.

Fins

Heading to hay bay same time. Staying at blakewood lodge. First time going there as well

Also heading to quinte the same weekend.

we're stay at Cedar Point resort on the south shore of Hay Bay

may have to keep in touch if someone requires some help with presentation.

cheers

Rhodes

quote:
Originally posted by Rhodes

Also heading to quinte the same weekend.

we're stay at Cedar Point resort on the south shore of Hay Bay

may have to keep in touch if someone requires some help with presentation.

cheers

Rhodes

If you're talking Ceadar Trees Resort, I stay there every year but always during the week that includes the long weekend. This year May 20-27.
The past three years have been our best ever. We stopped dragging cranbaits and switched back to worm harnesses. Slow trolled on long leads we have found they out produce anything we've tried in a long time. I even make my own harnesses now. Over the Winter months for something to do on those "ain't much else to do on a day like today" days.
There are six of us in two boats for the long weekend and then just three in my boat for the duration. Three of us are retired and three aren't. Last year we more than limited out evey day. We release all of the bigger fish and save the "eaters". Had a couple of good feeds while we were there which also included other members of the camp. We all brought home our limit at the end of the trip.
The past few years we've managed to hit it right catching post spawn fish aggressively feeding for the trip back to the main lake. Usually go through a flat of 500 worms. Sometimes we have to buy a few more dozen up there. A sensitive graphite rod with a soft tip is the ticket. Sensitive so you feel that little "walleye tap" and soft so the walleye doesn't sense a lot of resistance when he picks up your bait. After the tap, don't set the hook immediately. Feed your rod to him. Fully extend your arm and lean your rod back to him. When you can't give him anymore, set the hook. Chances are he's only pecked at the tail of the worn so you have to feed it to him with that little pause before you set.
This year with such a long cold Spring the spawn may not be over and we could all be in trouble. Hope not anyway.
Time will tell.
Hope this helps.
Good luck guys.

Now I don't usually like fishing crowds, but if you see a large concentration of boats, head there right away! They are on the fish, BIG TIME. There will be guys drifting, trolling, and anchored, all in a small area. At first it was seemingly insane, but it became apparent that was merely organized chaos. Boats were literally banging into one another, but it didn't seem to matter, because everyone was fighting 2 - 2.5lb walleye. We used jigs and worms, and when we ran out of worms we just used bare jigs. It didn't seem to matter much. Haven't been back since though, but I'd do it again if it was doable. Good luck guys.:)

Hanks for the info. Gentleman.
Roebag - been tying my own harnesses for a while just curious where u get components. Luremaking can be slow. Wasnt sure if u had a local supplier??

Small world as craves fish is fishing in same party !!
Rhodes - pm me and I will give u my cell we will be in a 18' Starcraft superfisherman. Black on tan.

quote:
Originally posted by dews

Roebag - been tying my own harnesses for a while just curious where u get components. Luremaking can be slow. Wasnt sure if u had a local supplier??

No easy fix. I just keep my eyes open when ever I'm in a shop and pick up bits and dribbles. Usually just check out different shops when I'm in the area.
Bass Pro (Toronto)had a pretty good selection when I was there last Fall so I was able to stock up on blades, clevices and some bead colours that I didn't already have.
Some of my other sources have been Fishing World (Hamilton) Bill's Bait (Hamilton) Kingsway Tackle (Guelph)Grimsby Tackle (Grimsby). In most cases stock is limited and often in obscure places. Best bet is to ask what if anything they have in stock. Most tackle retailers basically have only leftovers and suggest that there isn't enough interest anymore. With the price of gas these day, luremaking.com is probably more than worth the wait.

Wow did we hit this one right on. arrive to hay bay friday around 4 and fishing by 4.30. watched a guy catch and release 2 pickeral right while getting into the boat! fishing 2mins from cabin and caught 4 nice pickeral and 3 pike. Sat. all day fish were hitting hard. plenty of limits caught. bass and pearch also very active. best fishing I have ever experienced! worm harnesses seem to work the best. sunday whether took a turn for the worst and high winds and hard rains we decided to pack it in and head home after a great fish fry.

If you want to pm me I can give you a name of a fellow I deal with in Michigan, great guy and quality stuff. He is not a site sponsor so I don't feel it's proper to say in the forum.

quote:
Originally posted by crave fish

Wow did we hit this one right on. arrive to hay bay friday around 4 and fishing by 4.30. watched a guy catch and release 2 pickeral right while getting into the boat! fishing 2mins from cabin and caught 4 nice pickeral and 3 pike. Sat. all day fish were hitting hard. plenty of limits caught. bass and pearch also very active. best fishing I have ever experienced! worm harnesses seem to work the best. sunday whether took a turn for the worst and high winds and hard rains we decided to pack it in and head home after a great fish fry.

Sounds like an amazing time, nice going! Have to love the old worm harnesses!!
Where were you staying at?

most wallies were 16 inches were we fished in a small 14 ft boat. biggest i saw was a 24 inch that weekend. and a 22 inch . pike were avg 24 inch. large mouth were fat and the perch were 10 to 12 inchs. we stay on the south shore of hay bay. a place called blakewood lodge.

Just got back from our annual trip to Hay Bay. Fishing was excellent for the long weekend but then the storms rolled in. Monday big thunderstorm. Fishing just started to recover and we got hit again Wednesday. Thursday we got hammered twice. Friday morning it was still blowing so bad it was all we could do to get the boat out of the water. In spite of Mother Nature, we still managed our limit a few times over. Over sixty walleye and just as many pike. Only kept walleye and just the eaters. Bigger ones were left to spawn another day. All fish were caught on worm harnesses. We all brought home our limit and had two good feeds while we were there.

012-2.jpg

For beads I just go to dollarama,hooks-ctc,most tackle stores have the clevices and blades...might want to check northland tackle out,they have some interesting harnesses too

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks