Hastings ice fishing

Bassassin

Does Hastings hold the same numbers of Perch in the winter? Is the ice safe on the west side of the point? I always read reports of summer fish but do not recall anyone fishing Hastings through the ice.

Thanks
Johnny D

I've never tried so I don't really know
But curious why it is not safe outside the bay?

Yo WTP; Have been down there in winter and I think it would be impossible. The storms pound that shore creating huge piles at all the sand bars and shore that are hollow. I learned by falling through to my waist and getting a soaker right at the shore. I worry about my dog falling through there too. The ice in the Inner Bay is Fast and can't go anywhere. By the way, Reports I've heard are from 4inchs to 7inches from outa St Williams . Whereas the ice outside moves around with the wind until the whole lake freezes. A storm SW wind will raise the level of the lake there and a north wind and current will push the ice off shore. It's pretty interesting to see anywhere along that Beach side.

Ya the report just before this one is 100% correct.I fished on the commercial boats 25 years and walking on the ice in the bay makes me feel uneasy about it.The main ice in the open lake is off limits to any one who likes to breath air until were in the next ice age.

The ice in the Inner Bay is Fast and can't go anywhere.
Please don't anyone believe this for a minute. No offense @Larry Lloyd . I don't profess to know the bay the way many here do but I do know that on 2 separate occasions, as a young boy, mom and I sped down to Freddie's when the radio reports told of high winds breaking up the bay, leaving anglers stranded on ice flows.
The Bay is quite protected compared to the lake herself. But the ice deserves respect. As does the wind that can suck the water from under the ice for hours only to force a large rise and the bay becomes full of huge ice cubes.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks