Halibut

Landlocked

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Thought some of Stomp's crowd would be interested in the halibut charter I was lucky to be part of in Alaska last week. It's a fun way to fish but hard on the arms bouncing a one pound weight/jig on bottom in 300 ft of water then cranking them in! I landed two, lost two which was more then enough for me, lmao! Another gentleman on board brought in the big cod. It's a beautiful place up there. (oh, those boot were provided, not something I'd wear myself regularly :D)

Attachments

• IMG-7718.jpg
    IMG-7718.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 173
  • cod.jpg
    cod.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 172
Thought some of Stomp's crowd would be interested in the halibut charter I was lucky to be part of in Alaska last week. It's a fun way to fish but hard on the arms bouncing a one pound weight/jig on bottom in 300 ft of water then cranking them in! I landed two, lost two which was more then enough for me, lmao! Another gentleman on board brought in the big cod. It's a beautiful place up there. (oh, those boot were provided, not something I'd wear myself regularly :D)
Why did you put on those boots. Just for the Halibut

Been to Alaska myself & did river King fishing but was on the main water too traveling.
Once u see what kinda clean water looks like-u wonder what the hell is our water down here.
DISGUSTING is an understatement!.

Do they process your fish and ship it home for you?

Where were you in Alaska? Valdez?

those look like Crock Boots........ Stomp you had better order a pair.....lol

When I lived in North Vancouver my boss would take me to Alaska Salmon and Halibut fishing. I really enjoyed Alaska. Also when I was the Service, Parts, Warranty and new product Manager for Aspen Custom Trailers in Leduc Alberta I often had to go to Alaska to look at some of our trailers and decide if warranty was warranted. I snuck in a few fishing days while there.

Why did you put on those boots. Just for the Halibut
I think they provide them for a few reasons, most customers are off cruise ships who may not have appropriate/safe footwear, also may not want to take smelly shoes back to their cabins, lol

I was in Ketchikan as well last week. Cant post pics at the moment but we boated 2 halibut and our limit of 26 cohos, pinks and kings. Fantastic scenery and a couple new tricks on the downriggers picked up. Fish were processed and shipped to us.

They would have it I wasn't Canadian, one lucky US family shipped home all five halibut, three cod and four pink salmon
Is there an issue with shipping the fish from Alaska to a Canadian address?

There was no issue shipping back to Canada from Alaska when I was there in 2018. Just better be prepared to spend alot of $$$$ for shipping

I was in Ketchikan as well last week. Cant post pics at the moment but we boated 2 halibut and our limit of 26 cohos, pinks and kings. Fantastic scenery and a couple new tricks on the downriggers picked up. Fish were processed and shipped to us.
Care to share those downrigger tips?

When we were in Valdez in 2019 we went to the salmon canning factory and bought approximately 100 pounds of their canned Salmon and sent some home and carried some home in the RV. The Copper River sockeye is the best.

I did North King Lodge in northern BC about 10 years ago. It was amazing. I had to call my wife and tell her to go buy another freezer. Lucky to have Air Canada status at the time so brought back three boxes of my frozen catch free. Two halibuts, limits on Chinook, Ling Cod and Red Snapper. Sent the rest of the salmon out to get smoked and some canned.
Highlight of the trip was almost getting swamped by a humpback whale that came up right in front of our boat! Excellent trip and great lodge.

Care to share those downrigger tips?
We limited out on pinks and kings - (only allowed one king each and there is a min size) We took a break from salmon, caught our halibut and then went back to salmon fishing to round out our limit of cohos. Captain trolled 4.9mph....not a misprint. With a flasher and fly. All of that is directly opposite what we have been told about troll speed with flashers and dodgers. It worked just fine. Im going to play with it on some slow days.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks