Ground hogs

Magnum 3

Anyone still hunting ground hogs in Norfolk ( And no I don't mean in the winter ) . Last year , I spent more than a few days , cruising the area looking for even signs of activity and came up empty . Outside of the odd roadkill or the ones the go about their business daily , in our subdivision ,which tells me they still do exist , not much else . I know the predators are still doing their part , but is it really that bad out there . Just got off another site , with a guy who seems to be getting them (pictures to prove it ) . But he lives no where nearby . Would like to take the boys out and knock the dust off my rifles . Hopefully there's someone who say , owns a farm and could use some pest control . PM me , if you have a line on something , even if it's an hour away or so . Love to go out , even for a day this coming year .

Not exactly what I had in mind Tom . But I'll give it some thought . Gave it some thought .... pass on the deep fried west nile chicken ?

I would be checking out dairy or horse farms for groundhogs. The open grassy fields probably more to their liking and the ranchers would probably like the idea of getting rid of them. They may be able to put you on the X because they have work to do and can't be sitting around waiting for the lil'buggers to appear.
Just a thought ?

Find a bean field with a corner that looks thin and brown...thats a ground hog.
Talk to the farmer of the above field and offer him to rid the said field of destruction.
Thats how I find them anymore.

I would be checking out dairy or horse farms for groundhogs. The open grassy fields probably more to their liking and the ranchers would probably like the idea of getting rid of them. They may be able to put you on the X because they have work to do and can't be sitting around waiting for the lil'buggers to appear.
Just a thought ?
Thoughts crossed my mind LP . Guess , depends how bad they want them gone . Lost hunting property to horse people years ago , without firing a shot . Didn't want guns spooking the horses .

Thoughts crossed my mind LP . Guess , depends how bad they want them gone . Lost hunting property to horse people years ago , without firing a shot . Didn't want guns spooking the horses .
LOL don't get the shots scaring horses. If horses were scared of shots I don't think we'd ever have Cowboys....

Problem is all them yuppies moving out of the cities to raise their horses are the only ones that can afford rural land any more!

Reactions: Rex
LOL don't get the shots scaring horses. If horses were scared of shots I don't think we'd ever have Cowboys....

Ive heard of good horses being "ruined" for quite some time after being startled by close gunshots. As with many hunting dogs, it often takes training with loud noises and gunshots to prevent spooking them with random gunshots.

Keep in mind some people keep horses that are worth more than a new truck and they often become part of the family as they can live for 30 years. A simple broken leg could result in a career ending injury or the owner having to put down their animal.

As hunters we often need to take a look at the other side of the coin....

Ive heard of good horses being "ruined" for quite some time after being startled by close gunshots. As with many hunting dogs, it often takes training with loud noises and gunshots to prevent spooking them with random gunshots.

Keep in mind some people keep horses that are worth more than a new truck and they often become part of the family as they can live for 30 years. A simple broken leg could result in a career ending injury or the owner having to put down their animal.

As hunters we often need to take a look at the other side of the coin....

Not when it's impossible to find rural property at an affordable price. I make just over $100k, single income 2 kids. Owned my own home since I was 21. Only 32 don't understand how people can buy these 400-600k properties.

When you look back my grandparents bought rural about 5 times and they were single income and never made more than 40k.

Sucks how times change.

Enough of my crying.

Time to move north!

It's one thing shooting a gun right beside a dog. You can't tell me that hunting 500 plus yards from a horse is going to scare it. I call 100% bullshit.

If folks who move to the rural and pay for property are yuppies, what are those that bitch and whine about not being able to use other peoples turf, paid for turf, the way they want, suckies?
Worked 35+ yrs, often 24-7, took all OT, skipped holidays, drove old shit, no va-ca, trips,ect. Finally bought a rural prop, here this, my sand box, my rules.
Started at $22K and over a life time worked to the $100k level, 5 kids, wifey part time?
So tired of the " they have it, and I don't crowd"?

Now I know I'm in the wrong line of work . Anyway .... Should anyone else , know of what I was originally asking about , I'd appreciate you contacting me . Thanks M

If folks who move to the rural and pay for property are yuppies, what are those that bitch and whine about not being able to use other peoples turf, paid for turf, the way they want, suckies?
Worked 35+ yrs, often 24-7, took all OT, skipped holidays, drove old shit, no va-ca, trips,ect. Finally bought a rural prop, here this, my sand box, my rules.
Started at $22K and over a life time worked to the $100k level, 5 kids, wifey part time?
So tired of the " they have it, and I don't crowd"?

I said I'd quit crying now jeeze.

Not when it's impossible to find rural property at an affordable price. I make just over $100k, single income 2 kids. Owned my own home since I was 21. Only 32 don't understand how people can buy these 400-600k properties.

A 100K salary should give you over 5K / month to take home after taxes. A 30-year mortgage on 450K is 1900/mo at today's rates.

If you can't pay your bills with the 3100/mo left over, I'm happy to provide a consulting service to help you! For a modest fee, of course! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry for yet another hijack @Magnum 3. My opinion is that groundhogs have declined as farming practices have changed and coyote populations have increased. Smaller fields with more fence lines to hide, lots of hay crops and fields that don't get tilled often make better 'hog territory. I'd be knocking on Amish doors if I were you.

Magnum 3, my apologize's as well, off topic took me the wrong way?
Area around the Belmont golf course, see dirt hogs all the time, only that area, maybe 2 concessions?
Also see Jack rabbits the same ground, no science why?

A 100K salary should give you over 5K / month to take home after taxes. A 30-year mortgage on 450K is 1900/mo at today's rates.

If you can't pay your bills with the 3100/mo left over, I'm happy to provide a consulting service to help you! For a modest fee, of course! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry for yet another hijack @Magnum 3. My opinion is that groundhogs have declined as farming practices have changed and coyote populations have increased. Smaller fields with more fence lines to hide, lots of hay crops and fields that don't get tilled often make better 'hog territory. I'd be knocking on Amish doors if I were you.
Agree . Hmm ... Amish thing ... Food for thought !

Magnum 3, my apologize's as well, off topic took me the wrong way?
Area around the Belmont golf course, see dirt hogs all the time, only that area, maybe 2 concessions?
Also see Jack rabbits the same ground, no science why?
Without seeing the land , can't say for sure why . But to speculate , if you're referring to the golf course , when I use to golf more , I'd see a lot of wildlife . A lot of these places have overgrown areas , either as obstacles , boundaries etc., and the neighboring properties of rural courses are usually agricultural . Lots of places for pop in and out of . As mentioned by people earlier , makes more sense that if there's cover , be it overgrown hedge rows , bush etc ., should see more stuff . Kind of a coincidence , that a fella I know use to chuck hunt around Putnam . Don't know where for sure , but I do see that horse farm on the left on 401 to London . Don't know if there's public land up there or he knew people there .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks