Fishing Report great day at burwell, disappointing way to end it at the boat launch/ramp

Rob V

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
got a late start Sunday (up too late the night before) . set up around noon in 50 FOW and moved between 50 and 55. flat lining a tail dancer and a dipsy back 200 feet or so with spoons did the trick. purple was a good colour for me today. the disappointing part was finding out after i was finished cleaning my fish that using the cleaning table beside the ramp costs $10. the guy on the golf cart came up to me and told me it costs $10 to use the table - i thought he was kidding. unfortunately he wasn't. i've really appreciated the job they've done improving/expanding the ramp and the service is good also - and i know how hard it is to make a business successful/profitable but to find out (again - not before i start but as i'm finishing up) that it costs $10 to use the cleaning table really left a sour taste in my mouth. the last time I launched i saw people cleaning fish there and i reminded myself to bring my cordless electric knife today (didn't use any of their hydro). Guess i won't make that mistake again. something for the suggestion box - a sign telling people the table costs $10 would go a long way. I wonder what it costs to use the portable toilets there ?

You aren't the first I've heard of learning or speaking about this issue.

At the very least a clearly visible sign stating cost per use should be displayed on the station.

The poopers were still free as of Sunday. :D

Which marina were you at?
Big Otter or North Erie?

north Erie. The one that changed ownership a year or so ago and expanded the launch. Again I think they’ve done a great job, but if they’re springing this surprise on folks they’re not doing themselves any favorurs.

Last edited:
It happened to us too on Sat. Big Otter doesn't charge to use their cleaning station. Not sure why North Erie started doing it.

I have used Big Otter and it was 5 bucks in the past few years so if your using it this year and not paying, you must not be asking if you can use it.
I find it very reasonable you have fresh water and hydro.
This year with only having to clean 6 pickerel a person I bring them home.

They should put a sign up for sure but I can understand the fee since they have to deal with all the waste which can add up....I'd would gladly pay the 10 bones rather than take the fish home to clean and deal with all the guts but I would like to know I'm paying for it up front.

got a late start Sunday (up too late the night before) . set up around noon in 50 FOW and moved between 50 and 55. flat lining a tail dancer and a dipsy back 200 feet or so with spoons did the trick. purple was a good colour for me today. the disappointing part was finding out after i was finished cleaning my fish that using the cleaning table beside the ramp costs $10. the guy on the golf cart came up to me and told me it costs $10 to use the table - i thought he was kidding. unfortunately he wasn't. i've really appreciated the job they've done improving/expanding the ramp and the service is good also - and i know how hard it is to make a business successful/profitable but to find out (again - not before i start but as i'm finishing up) that it costs $10 to use the cleaning table really left a sour taste in my mouth. the last time I launched i saw people cleaning fish there and i reminded myself to bring my cordless electric knife today (didn't use any of their hydro). Guess i won't make that mistake again. something for the suggestion box - a sign telling people the table costs $10 would go a long way. I wonder what it costs to use the portable toilets there ?
Money well spent. But yes there should be a sign letting u know up front. I have my boat docked there and I was not aware of the charge.

i've got no problem paying for something if i know i have to pay for it. and i agree with everyone's comments - not having to deal with the waste may be worth it to some folks (btw - for my $10 I got a garbage bag and was told to put the waste in the garbage bin myself). for me $10 to clean 6 two pound pickerel isn't. my problem is not letting folks know that there's a cost to using that facility. and maybe it's me - is it a given that you need to pay extra on top of your launch fee to use a fish cleaning station at a ramp ?

i've got no problem paying for something if i know i have to pay for it. and i agree with everyone's comments - not having to deal with the waste may be worth it to some folks (btw - for my $10 I got a garbage bag and was told to put the waste in the garbage bin myself). for me $10 to clean 6 two pound pickerel isn't. my problem is not letting folks know that there's a cost to using that facility. and maybe it's me - is it a given that you need to pay extra on top of your launch fee to use a fish cleaning station at a ramp ?
No u r absolutely right there should be a sign telling u what to do. I’m am sure Greg has forgotten he is a busy man. If I see him I will mention it to him. He is always more than fair. Don’t let this discourage u from Going there Sam and Greg r great people

I have a dock space and the cleaning station was built for the dockers originally....so...to have access for $10 is a great convenience especially because there is no priority for waiting...we were there Sunday,docked and went to clean fish only to find a 4 cooler lineup...that means I had to go home and clean my fish as time was of importance and couldn't wait an hour...so there you go...cleaning station included with the dock fee but too busy to use it so inconvenienced..however...first time this happened....glad the station is there...would gladly pay $10 for access....a SIGN to warn of the fee would be appropriate GREG

I cleaned fish in Turkey Pt. for years with Capt. Billy, " Teacher's Pet".
The hardest part of the cleaning is the disposal of the Guts etc.
A fee for that service and avoiding the clean up at home is reasonable.
A Notification sign of the Fee would be helpful....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks