Off Topic GPS Trackers for toys

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I was recently looking at the millions of different GPS trackers available for cars, RV's, boats etc and just wondered if anyone had any feedback on any particular brands or services. I presume you need some sort of subscription or cell plan for them all which I don't like but they seem like a great way to protect your toys. I would like them to simply alarm if my toy leaves the area it's supposed to be in and also provide current location so I think most of the basic ones would do the job. Any experience good or bad?

This article is a good intro to the low-budget, no-subscription options. The advantage of these devices is they are so small they can be hidden anywhere. https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets...s-galaxy-smarttag-how-to-the-trackers-compare
Downside - some not-so-nice people have used these for inappropriate purposes such as stalking, which has caused a sh#t ton of reactions, including the fact that you can now download an app that will detect them in the immediate area. So, if someone is planning on stealing your toy, they can scan for the tracker, find it and treat it with a hammer.

I have worked with a subscription device. The one I worked with was quite large (a little larger than a pack of playing cards) and was put in a case similar to an Otterbox that was attached using magnets. It broadcasted location even from inside a shipping container, ferry or plane, and you could connect online and find the exact location with any device. The downside beyond the fact it needs its own cell # is the battery life is limited to about 72 hours.

ignore the trailer url but we see alot of these in the recreational space we work in. they are about size of a small key fob and you can download app to phone to see where it is at any time....dont ask me more as thats all i know. I have one in my boat locker velcroed in an inconspicuous spot and i can see where my boat is within a few meters....believe it runs off cell signal so not great way up north

ignore the trailer url but we see alot of these in the recreational space we work in. they are about size of a small key fob and you can download app to phone to see where it is at any time....dont ask me more as thats all i know. I have one in my boat locker velcroed in an inconspicuous spot and i can see where my boat is within a few meters....believe it runs off cell signal so not great way up north
It's not a real time tracker but I like the concept...if somebody jacks your ride, you should be able to find it which is really all I need

AirTag from Apple, no subscription or additional charges. only works when near any other cell phone, even if it's not yours.
I've looked at that but if my boat is stuffed in a barn somewhere I'm not convinced anyone with Bluetooth will be nearby so it won't work. Also, apparently there are a ton of apps that will locate these so the perpetrators can destroy them. I do like the free part though...

I've searched around the mighty interweb without joy....any clue where you can buy these or how much they cost? Seem like a good option depending on price.

Last edited:
I've looked at that but if my boat is stuffed in a barn somewhere I'm not convinced anyone with Bluetooth will be nearby so it won't work. Also, apparently there are a ton of apps that will locate these so the perpetrators can destroy them. I do like the free part though...

I think if you bury it under the deck somewhere they'd never be able to pinpoint specifically where it is, just that it's there. The tracking isn't accurate enough to get more than a few meters from the air tag, I think it's doubtful they'd be able to triangulate a device as small as an air tag without tearing the boat completely apart if you hid it well enough. I have extensive experience with sh!@tbags, they all have cell phones. Sooner or later you'd get signal!

there is always LowJack that still exists. It's been around for decades and they claim to have a 98% recovery rate. I don't think it's cheap though.

I think if you bury it under the deck somewhere they'd never be able to pinpoint specifically where it is, just that it's there. The tracking isn't accurate enough to get more than a few meters from the air tag, I think it's doubtful they'd be able to triangulate a device as small as an air tag without tearing the boat completely apart if you hid it well enough. I have extensive experience with sh!@tbags, they all have cell phones. Sooner or later you'd get signal!

Can't disagree but I think I'd lose my mind if my boat or quad was missing and I had to wait for a sh!+bag with an i-phone to go nearby so I could find it. I'm thinking I would prefer to have real-time location if needed although it clearly comes with a cost..... if it's good it's not cheap, if it's cheap it's not good, like a lot of things it appears I can't get good & cheap!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks