Got out Yesterday and be WARNED

Fish Farmer

Wind was brutal in the morning. We got set up the farthest portable east. The wind subsided in the afternoon and the fishing picked up. Saw 2 big pike swim by that weren't interested at what we had. Ended the day with about 3 dozen keepers and through back quite a few dinks. All fish came on artificials. Lots of ice
BUT BE WARNED! WATCH FOR THE 2 OPEN BIG HOLES THAT A CAR CAN FIT THROUGH. One is marked the other is not. I was driving around out there and saw the one at the last min. and steered away.
, close call. I looked around to see if I could find something to mark it and was nothing. If that spot freezes a skim and snow covers it, it could spell disaster. Watch out people.
The spot I would say is a little east of Booths, about a mile out, be careful and drive slow out there.

Last edited:
I wonder if one was the hole the wench hut went through? The other a mystery, like one of those geometric shapes in corn fields.

Thanks for the heads up fellow steelworker, ret.

Not together actually, but you did with Dad at Steelmaking. We have plenty of mutual acquaintances from Stelco Fishing Club, we PM'd on the other site last year. I was in Ironmaking operations, Blast Furnaces. When we had more than one.

Not together but you worked with Dad at Steelmaking. Blast Furnace ops here until 2000. That 25 and out sure was nice.

Lots of mutual acquaintances from your fishing club.

Johnny D

Any chance there are some lat longs of the holes? Would be good if someone grabbed them and then posted on here. Could put a waypoint in the GPS. I marked Wenches the other day but don't have my GPS handy or I would post that one.

Any chance there are some lat longs of the holes? Would be good if someone grabbed them and then posted on here. Could put a waypoint in the GPS. I marked Wenches the other day but don't have my GPS handy or I would post that one.
Yes that would be a good idea, sorry I don't. The down side to that most don't have a GPS. I did have mine back in my hut with my buddy.
I keep it case we get a white-out to get back to port. I have St. Williams and Old Cut marked on it.
Tics me off now that I didn't go back and mark the GPS spot. Good idea Paul R.

Primary mechanical
Oh no you mean there is more than one retired Blast Furnace guy here? 33 years at Lake Erie for me. TC
38 for me in the Open Hearth, Steelmaking and BOF Crane Dept. Hilton Works Retired now 9 years. "Man" how times fly by when your having fun. Scary every time I look in the notices, another workmate gone.:(:cry:
Gotta hurry and get out fishin least one more time:D times a wasting, hope they're bitin:)

Okay I have my GPS out now. The location of where Wenches Welcome hut went in is N42.65163 W80.39159. Well that location is more precisely 100' east of the hole as I didn't have my Jesus boots on to walk on water and get a GPS fix. Sorry but I haven't been out since Tuesday so I don't have any more locations marked.

Oh no you mean there is more than one retired Blast Furnace guy here? 33 years at Lake Erie for me. TC

TC
I actually was in the LED Blast Furnace but went back to Hilton before start up. That was 80'. We only had the Stovetenders and a few guys for the Pig Caster on the job before I left. Everyone told me I should have stayed. That was before I started fishing. Who knows. I did venture my way over there once and a while when you guys would freeze the hearth. Fun wow!

Trained my guys on the tilting runner before we got ours. Tilt one way, fill the ladle, tilt to the drip, switch the ladle, repeat. After an hour, Erie Beach here we come. That was OK, beats changing Tuyeres. Man that was lifetime ago it seems. Good talking to you.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks