Off Topic Good prices for Tohatsu Outboards

Oh my… not sure what to do! Been looking for a kicker and had my eye on new tohatsu 4strokes. Was debating between that and a used one… still 3-4x the price of a used 2 stroke but so much better.

Oh my… not sure what to do! Been looking for a kicker and had my eye on new tohatsu 4strokes. Was debating between that and a used one… still 3-4x the price of a used 2 stroke but so much better.
I had same dilema earlier this year ended up goin with a 9.9 suzuki at least have warranty and used prices were not much better for a 10 year old or more motor

Word of warning regarding the Tohatsu warranty. I had a 2015 8HP long shaft electric start. Worked great, loved the motor, had it for 3 seasons and took very good care of it, premium fuel, oil changes twice a year, gear oil every year, etc. During the end of season oil change for the third year, found that the oil was milky and the crankcase was overfull. Had it checked by the dealer, not Bridge, and they found some dirt and a couple drops of water in the carb and said that Tohatsu would probably not honor the warranty as a result.

I took it home and put it away for the winter. Next spring I ran it for 2 trips, checked the oil and it was full of water again. Took it to Bridge and they ran it for a while but there was no water in the oil. I took it back and ran it on my boat for a trip again and I had water. By this time the bearings were shot and it was rattling. Tohatsu said it was something that I was doing and would not honor the warranty. The explanation they gave, which I thought was BS, was about water pushing back up through the cooling water system when I was using the main motor, even though the kicker was out of the water and the water intake well clear of the water. Can't see how water can be pushed past the water pump and up into the power head and past the seals and gaskets that separate the oil and water systems, but that was the claim. That was more plausible to them than a failure in a gasket or seal in the powerhead. They did not have an answer as to how, after 3 years and 5 clean oil changes and the motor on the same boat, that their theory would all of a sudden happen. I could have paid to have it taken apart and checked out, but if they did not find anything it would be on me. Figured that I would cut my losses and sold the Tohatsu for parts and got a used 15 HP Suzuki for what it would it would have cost to have the Tohatsu checked out and rebuilt.

I am not saying that they are bad motors, they run great for the price, but don't count on the warranty. Bridge went to bat for me, but Tohatsu welched on their part.

Stay away from 2 strokes while trolling, your lungs will appreciate it. At low speeds the wind will push the exhaust right over you.

One or 2 of our members brought this to the forum..this quote is copy paste

Tohatsu Marine Corporation was set up in 1988 as joint venture with Brunswick Corporation, USA. Mercury Marine is a division of Brunswick Corporation and many of the smaller Mercury Outboards are just rebranded Tohatsu Engines. In addition, the entire line of Nissan outboards are rebranded Tohatsus.Dec 11, 2017

I bought my 2 honda 15hp longshaft and a 2nd suzuki 2.5hp from Ed at Bridgt Yachts, bought new.
my other motors 2 boats 2 trailers all bought new..no lemons..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks