Good Job by one Commercial Fisherman

zamboniwaterboy

September 23 there was a net running north to south just East of the silver barn at Port Bruce, and it was marked every 80 feet with white jugs. It was so easy to see, looked like a row of seagulls. Made it really easy for me and others to avoid while trolling. I appreciate the fact that you marked it so well that I did not get my expensive equipment entangled in your expensive equipment and causing damage that would affect your livelihood. I wish more of the commercial boats would take the extra time to do this. It would save both the recreational fisherman and the commercial fisherman a lot of damage and money!!!!!

I saw that as well on my way to Hastings yesterday. Although I wasn't wally fishing it was a very nice job of marking nets and thanks to the commercials for doing so.
It was likely my last kick at the can for a Hastings trip and it was well rewarded. Was better out in 53 feet than in shallower 49 feet though. Took a couple moves to find good schools.

The ones with the jugs are suspended gill nets, the ones without jugs are bottom gill nets. The white jugs are the floats needed to keep the net suspended. I don't think they do this as a favour to sportfisherman. They are much easier to see though & I don't see why a few more markers couldn't be used on bottom nets if the spirit moved them.

There are diagrams of each type of net here:

https://www.owensound.ca/sites/default/files//uploaded-site-files/Brochure.pdf

The ones with the jugs are suspended gill nets, the ones without jugs are bottom gill nets. The white jugs are the floats needed to keep the net suspended. I don't think they do this as a favour to sportfisherman. They are much easier to see though & I don't see why a few more markers couldn't be used on bottom nets if the spirit moved them.
The nets all around Bruce were marked this way as well, curious what species of fish are they targeting this close to shore

There are diagrams of each type of net here:

https://www.owensound.ca/sites/default/files//uploaded-site-files/Brochure.pdf
I would think by looking at the bottom nets that the reason they don't have jugs is that there is no where to attach them .

I would think by looking at the bottom nets that the reason they don't have jugs is that there is no where to attach them .
I never said it would be easy! They would have to be on long tethers or something and would be a total pain in a$$ I'm sure but it would be kind of nice...

its called canned nets higher to catch the fish who swim in higher water after the lake turns over steer clear of these plz

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks