Off Topic Golden or bald eagle

WWhat kind of bird?

• Total voters

jerk bait

Came across this today on backroad. Eagle eating some road kill and wouldnt move. Picture doesnt do justice to just how massive this bird was. No white markings on head. Once it did fly the wing span was well over 5 to 6 feet plus. I have seen bald eagles at my place but this was much bigger and different markings. I asked today and nobody really had a definite answer. It says golden eagles do not live in this area. I know bald eagles dont get their white head until maturing but this bird was certainly big enough to be mature. Anyone have a better idea?

Attachments

• 20191229_105805.jpg
    20191229_105805.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 20191229_105807.jpg
    20191229_105807.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 424
I would guess that it is a juvenile bald eagle. They earn a white head once mature in second or third year.

Each bald eagle is different in there own way. . Each successive molt being closer to adult plumage. Most birds attain the classic adult pattern between their 4th and 5th year.
The bird sanctuary in rowan does take calls about sittings of birds and can give you answers to your questions that the best of there knowledge. If I didn't have curious kids I wouldn't know some things lol butt shh don't tell them that.

Looks like a juvenile bald eagle to me.... there's a family of em near my in laws house with 3 juveniles, they look similar to this.

If you got a smart phone you enjoy using, download the Merlin app. It's by a bunch of ornithology students at Cornell, and it's a method of tracking birds. Helps with population estimates, endangered species, all kinds of wicked ecology stuff. My buddy's gf is workin on her Ph.D (way smarter than us illiterates) and got me a couple of us at work onto this. You can input general features you notice on the bird and help you figure out what it is.

It's possible it could be a golden as there are a few still around. This may help as it clearly shows the varying stages a bald eagle goes through until they attain full adult plumage. Younger bald eagles are commonly mistaken for golden eagles which are very rare and on the endangered species list in Ontario.

Last edited:
Looks like a juvenile bald eagle to me.... there's a family of em near my in laws house with 3 juveniles, they look similar to this.

If you got a smart phone you enjoy using, download the Merlin app. It's by a bunch of ornithology students at Cornell, and it's a method of tracking birds. Helps with population estimates, endangered species, all kinds of wicked ecology stuff. My buddy's gf is workin on her Ph.D (way smarter than us illiterates) and got me a couple of us at work onto this. You can input general features you notice on the bird and help you figure out what it is.
This was south of Woodstock. Way too big to be a young bald eagle in my opinion. This thing dwarfed the bald eagles I have seen here. A least 25 percent bigger. It had no fear of the truck at all. Calmly ate the roadkill. I wanted to get a better pic but didnt want to disturb it. My guess it's a golden eagle which do migrate through here apparently

pretty cool picture & encounter..
ya i agree thats not a bald eagle...
theres lots of bald eagles in the spring where i hunt in northern ontario..
years back LPB seen a pair of bald eagles perched in an willow tree on the causeway at first light icefishin the channels in march...they were a common occurrance in the spring..
my best ever encounter was with an absolute giant eagle moose huntin northern NFLD in remote timber below Gross morne mountains (dec. 2014)..me & my guide stumbled onto a moose carcass at 25 feet in thick bush when we spooked the huge eagle off feeding on a adult cow moose..I tried to lookup the eagle species online...not there..nothing related to the sheer size of this eagle

Old timer I had breakfast with today says ...." that's one of those brown eagles we had here years ago"..... either way very cool and glad my daughter got to see up close

We have seen Golden Eagles on gut piles during the shot gun hunt (first week of December) in Perth County in past years. Seems to be when they are migrating through. The Goldens are noticeably bigger. Hard to say from the picture but it could certainly be a Golden. JB

I seen a golden this fall moose hunting lake nipigon at the main marina in a tree perched and it was massive super noticeable driving on hyw 11 neat experience.

Maybe @big rod could give some insight he spends a lot of spare time helping with bird counts and banding
This is a Juvenile Bald, my pic is a Juvenile Golden banded this fall at Holiday Beach.The Juv Goldens have a white tail. Goldens are NOT any bigger than a Bald as mentioned above.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 70
This is a Juvenile Bald, my pic is a Juvenile Golden banded this fall at Holiday Beach.The Juv Goldens have a white tail. Goldens are NOT any bigger than a Bald as mentioned above.
This bird was almost twice that size. The pic I got does not do it justice. The feet dwafted those of that bird you are holding.

My Avatar picture is a juvenile bald eagle taken 2 years ago at Bay Frt Park ice fishing.
May be staying away from that area for a long time now with the shit leak from Hamilton.

Attachments

• 20180113_141834.jpg
    20180113_141834.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
Came across this today on backroad. Eagle eating some road kill and wouldnt move. Picture doesnt do justice to just how massive this bird was. No white markings on head. Once it did fly the wing span was well over 5 to 6 feet plus. I have seen bald eagles at my place but this was much bigger and different markings. I asked today and nobody really had a definite answer. It says golden eagles do not live in this area. I know bald eagles dont get their white head until maturing but this bird was certainly big enough to be mature. Anyone have a better idea?

Golden and bald eagles are pretty well the same size with same wing span and an immature bald will be full grown before molting into the white head look.

You can also tell it’s a bald by how the feathers on its legs don’t go all the way down to its feet.

Cool bird either way.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks