Off Topic Going from chickens to beef cattle and now Bisons.

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
A few weeks ago we had vaccinated our beef cattle and one of the gentlemen that was there raises Bison and asked if I would like to come over when he does his Bison.
This afternoon we went over to help vaccinate them and the vet did a preg test on them. We showEd up and all 22 were in the corralled area and we had to get them into a closed area leading to the squeeze way for checking. Now this is my first time ever being around such a powerful animal. It was just like watching a western movie of bison on the run, if one runs they all run. I dam neared $hit my pants thinking WTF am I doing this for.
But we manage to get them into the closed area and now it’s time process them through the squeeze way. My job was to open and close a sliding gate as they pass through. Once in the squeeze way they were checked and vaccinated then released.
Before all this happened I was told they can jump and clear a 6’ fence!!!!!!! There was approx 1500 lb male bison in my section and he didn’t want to be there. This squeeze way is approx 6’ high and he tried to jump over the side to where I’m standing and I have no where to run???. Now that’s the second time I $hit my pants.
It took us about 2 hrs to do all this and the farmer asked “what do you think of that, nothing like doing cattle”. I said to him if I knew how powerful these animals are, I would of brought a change of underwear???
Am I a fool for punishment ........ oh HELL YA!!!!!! Going back this fall to do it again?
C1F0D046-DBFD-49C8-9E02-8E82E8CDF587.jpeg81C6F300-CB04-49CF-BC57-877BEF132BF8.jpeg8EB5E056-25B2-4389-BD3B-D78ECF3A2554.jpeg635AE9C3-0E93-42C6-81D7-E00AB5D43FD4.jpeg

Great photos once again @Three Bouys. That last photo the look on Bison's face and the glaring eyeball seems to say "is that the guy the cows told me about?" ?

Three Bouys How do they compare to our beef cattle, taste wise and tender?
Would there be a better market for them?
Probably the meat is more expensive.
The look on the face of that last one:eek: I think I'd sooner look in the face of a Walleye, just saying :D (y)

I'll stick to watching fishing and hunting programs on TV to get through this. I've been up close to a full grown male bison once in my life and once was enough for me. I thought I was crossing a fenced off cattle operation up near the tree line in Saskatchewan.

Cool ! There are some things in life that you HAVE to experience. Having someone tell you or reading about it just not the same. I worked on a friends bee hives once wearing proper PPE of course. WOW ! I use to freak at the sight of a bee/wasp/hornet but now I just have a healthy respect for them.

And yes ! That last pic ….. that Bull is definitely eyeballing you.

Put a 2000 lb 6' X 8' animal in a 5'X7' enclosed box and give it a needle.
Now that sounds like a party

Three Bouys How do they compare to our beef cattle, taste wise and tender?
Would there be a better market for them?
Probably the meat is more expensive.
The look on the face of that last one:eek: I think I'd sooner look in the face of a Walleye, just saying :D (y)
I've had Bison burgers before and really couldn't tell the difference from beef burgers. Actually according to this it's healthier for you than beef. I agree that Bison definitely has an eye on @Three Bouys with an attitude to get a piece of him if possible. :LOL:

Bison and beef similarities
BisonBeef
Calories166224
Protein24 grams22 grams
Fat8 grams14 grams
CarbsLess than 1 gram0 grams
Saturated fat3 grams6 grams
Iron13% of the Daily Value (DV)12.5% of the DV
Zinc35% of the DV46% of the DV

Talked to a buddy of yours in Colchester today, Black Dura Max and Black 621 Ranger. I told him to say hello Jim. LOL

Hey @big rod, did you have a case of Ranger Envy after that meeting?
Nope , to much boat for me. Five batteries , double axel trailer that he said needs tires every season because the boat is to heavy, he also said his half tonne had a hard time pulling it so he bought a 3/4 Tonne Chevy Dura Max..... another $100,000.00.Get use to the 1860 Ranger Angler because i am driving till the windshield falls of it. I didn't get his name, is he a member of this board?

@big rod he‘s great guy and a great friend, he lives to fish and doesn’t spare nothing to be on the water. His 621 is brand new and I haven’t been on it yet. His other Ranger was I believe only 3-4 yrs old and it had all the new updated technology on it, I’m sure this one is done the same.
He has a place also in Long Point like me and when he asks do you want to go fishing I drop all plans and go with him. @stomp has been out fishing with us more than once??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks