"go to" bow spoons

kevin

Hey guys,

I have been heading off shore in the Eastern basin quite a bit lately, trying to figure out the trout fishing at our end. Been doing really well on lakers, and hitting the odd bow up around the 60-70 ft mark. I'd really like to dial in on the bows.

What spoons/lures/colours are your go-to's down at your end, say off burwell? I've also tried running a bit higher up in the water column like you guys do at your end, but they seem to be deeper around the 60-75 ft mark.

Having fun with the lakers, there are just some pigs out there!

anything with copper backs. oprange and pinks work good. purple and black, and nascar are probably our best

where in the eastern basin are you catch the lake how deep
nk28 are aways good for bows

Anything over 95 ft and the lakers are stacked up good. It's a long run out for me at this end.

I've been using NK28's, and mags for the lakers. The lakers have been loving the "42nd spoon".

I tried to pin East basin trout down years ago and found it a fun chase.The best spoon seemed to change from day to day, but NKs regular and mags we always good. I liked silver with a orangwe stripe. But green (Northport Nailer), monkey puke, copper backs (Pirate), they all had their days.
What I figured was the fish schooled off of Long Point in July and sort of dispersed East around the end of July. Fishing at the East edge of the deep water (95ft)picked up in August. Now with all the fish in Cattaraugus creek it is probably better than it ever was.I asume you are running out of PT. Colborne.
I found the best way to release the lakers was to hold em high, tail up nose toward the water and drop em. They seemed to get a cou[ple feet under the water and that helped them get back down. Don't pull em up too fast eiither, it gives em time to depressurize. You will see the "burp" bubbles coming out of them as you play them. Treat em right, it's a shame to kill those old girls if you don't have to. They are a lot of fun to catch. What's the average size now?
If you ever need a deckhand let me know, I'll throw in for gas and show you what I know.

The average seems to be around the 11lbs mark, but there are quite a few big ones too, up over the 20lbs mark.

The fish are releasing just fine, shooting right back down to the deep water. All fish so far have been stockers with an adipose clip, maybe from US plantings. Lots of lakers are put in each year to offset the close to zero natural reproduction in Erie.

Here's a pic of the average size out there...this one had to hit the cooler as he was deep hooked.
erielaker.jpg

what port do ypu go out of. the mnr has been butting lakes in at 5 mile shore off Nanticoke the last few years

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks