Fishing Report Glasgow morning 7/7/2023

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Left London at 4:00 AM and got to boat at 5:00 AM. Already 3 trucks parked with trailers. Out to start at 48 fow in the dark. Same program as Tuesday with 1 rigger and 1 dipsey. Did not matter what colour spoons as everything was working. Done at 7:30 with lots of small ones tossed back. Count was 22 for 23 as lost a good one at back of boat trying to lift him in with out the net. Only Walleye's this morning and speed was crazy. No fish hit unless speed was over 3 mph at the ball.

Attachments

• starting point.jpg
    starting point.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 106
  • speed at ball today 3.3 mph.jpg
    speed at ball today 3.3 mph.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 110
  • keepers fpr today.jpg
    keepers fpr today.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 99
  • double with baby on slider.jpg
    double with baby on slider.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 76
  • another small.jpg
    another small.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 78
  • baby3.jpg
    baby3.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 63
  • baby4.jpg
    baby4.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 66
  • baby5.jpg
    baby5.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 66
  • keeper.jpg
    keeper.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 67
  • keeper2.jpg
    keeper2.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 102
So we have been trying the “lift in” and it’s been successful but today we lost 3 trying to heave them in. We need to figure out something that doesn’t require a net but takes the weight off the poll and reel.

My first thought is a board that extends from the back of the boat… like a ramp. 😊

So we have been trying the “lift in” and it’s been successful but today we lost 3 trying to heave them in. We need to figure out something that doesn’t require a net but takes the weight off the poll and reel.

My first thought is a board that extends from the back of the boat… like a ramp. 😊

Your board should have raised edges like a chute to help keep the slippery little suckers on the board. 🌻

Why no net?

Better to lose a little time, than to lose three fish. Takes a lot of trolling time to get back lost fish.

Better to lose a little time, than to lose three fish. Takes a lot of trolling time to get back lost fish.
most time I have ever "lost" was like 60 seconds... but is it really lost time when all the other rods are still running.. I bring two nets incase of a double header... but even with a triple header not sure a ramp really helps

most time I have ever "lost" was like 60 seconds... but is it really lost time when all the other rods are still running.. I bring two nets incase of a double header... but even with a triple header not sure a ramp really helps
I have a $200 net. And a $55 canadian tire net. Ill use the cheap net all day long because the hooks come out easy. But i agree. 2 nets is a must, we definitely needed 2 last night out of glasgow. Ive lost a lot of time pissing around with my expensive net. Holes are too small and the hooks can get tangled in multiple holes and sometimes take 5 minutes or more. Sometimes the spoon just gets left in the net until later.

Any fish 1-3lbs I just hoist them over the rail by hand.
Crank the fish up close to boat then take most of the pressure off the rod and grab the line a good ft or 2 above the fish and lift it to the boat in one quick motion(don't bounce it off the boat on its way in).. and be sure to tell bystanders behind you to spread out!
I use 20lb leader so there is no worry there at all about line breaking on fish that size.
Once you get a rhythm figured out there ain't nothing to it and you be surprised how many you dont loose by not using a net on little fish.
I don't mind running the risk of loosing small fish back to the lake for seed instead of playing with the net ESPECIALLY when the bite is fast and furious.
Or change your net mesh to a luckystrike all rubber mesh. World of difference that makes.
Not the rubber molded of over fabric style mesh, they make a mesh that is all rubber and the holes are about 1" in size.20230630_191229.jpg They are the best IMO.
3×treble hook baits,harness,spoons are a breeze to remove no matter how much twisting and turning they do.

Any fish 1-3lbs I just hoist them over the rail by hand.
Crank the fish up close to boat then take most of the pressure off the rod and grab the line a good ft or 2 above the fish and lift it to the boat in one quick motion(don't bounce it off the boat on its way in).. and be sure to tell bystanders behind you to spread out!
I use 20lb leader so there is no worry there at all about line breaking on fish that size.
Once you get a rhythm figured out there ain't nothing to it and you be surprised how many you dont loose by not using a net on little fish.
I don't mind running the risk of loosing small fish back to the lake for seed instead of playing with the net ESPECIALLY when the bite is fast and furious.
Or change your net mesh to a luckystrike all rubber mesh. World of difference that makes.
Not the rubber molded of over fabric style mesh, they make a mesh that is all rubber and the holes are about 1" in size.View attachment 75914 They are the best IMO.
3×treble hook baits,harness,spoons are a breeze to remove no matter how much twisting and turning they do.
Thanks for the advice I will change out my netting…. We started to hoist the fish this year and I understand what you mean by grabbing the line in a quick motion….. it’s almost better to grab the line and hoist for your deck mate. Lots of fun when they are biting and it looks promising for the future seeing all the small ones

my boat follows the @SIX-GRAND method of boating fish. Bought that 250 net this spring that stays mostly idol while the 69.99 rubber net from bass pro does the majority of the heavy lifting

While I fish alone quite a bit, I try to lift as many Walleye in to the boat as I can. It is not the easiest thing to but fighting the fish and driving the boat and trying to grab the net and land the fish all at the same time can be a challenge. I am used to it but I still get the odd Walleye who fools me and just wants to be free.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks