Fishing Report Glasgow June 4th

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Went for our first trip of the season with high hopes after some recent successful posts by others. As I'm motoring out the channel I turn on my Lowrance only to see a blank sonar screen and a message saying sonar stopped. I went into settings to see the icon lit for stop sonar and thought woe that's all it is so turned it back on, nothing. 😩 After checking everything possible while wasting an 1 1/2 hours I'm asking myself why did I ever go from Humminbird to this nightmare. So we fished totally blind no sonar, didn't have a clue how deep or even water temp but at least we had GPS speed. We managed to go 2-4 on bows and nothing else not knowing the walleye were up at 15 ft. until we talked to someone at the dock so we were fishing under them all morning. I don't how we ever caught fish back in 60s with out anything tech wise on the boat. 🤷‍♂️ Now the dumbest part of all I found once home, the transducer cable wasn't seated all the way in. I checked it out there as well and it would not go in any farther no matter how hard I pushed so thought the transducer has to be faulty. Once I troubleshot on the Lowrance website I find a photo showing how deep the rings on the plug must be to be totally seated so in the boat I go pushing the plugs so hard I thought my skin coming off to no avail. I had to restrain myself from getting the mallet out so tried the old dish soap trick, BINGO. Turn on unit sonar is back! The Lowrance engineer that designed the plugs on the Hook Reveal needs to work somewhere else. Probably was fired by Humminbird before being hired by Lowrance. ;) Really just happy I won't be without a sonar for who knows how long the way things are still backed up from covid. 👌

Just FYI if you have a Hook Reveal unit
1654380192141.png 1654380216107.png

Last edited:
Well now you wouldn't want water getting in there. Probably acts like an O ring. My elite 7 was a little hard to get plugs into this year. But definitely not like yours. Great report. Thanks.

Well now you wouldn't want water getting in there. Probably acts like an O ring. My elite 7 was a little hard to get plugs into this year. But definitely not like yours. Great report. Thanks.
That's exactly what they do to seal them. They were not that hard to get in last when I bought it. I guess over the winter after unplugging the unit the rubber must have expanded because they were ridiculously difficult to seat. 😬

should of stayed with Hummingbird.. lol... glad you figured it out.... I run 2 hummingbirds and I use one for sonar and the other one for maps... if one goes down I can use the other...cheers,,

And everybody laughs at me for carrying Vaseline in my toolbox.😁
Ha ha! I thought about using Vaseline but they say any kind of grease is a no, no. I suspect me using dish soap is not the best either according to their website instructions. It would have saved some grief yesterday if they had included these instructions with the unit. I didn't know I had to be Hulk Hogan to seat them by hand. :rolleyes: At least now I know what to do when I plug it back in next season. 😌 ;)

The Hook transducer plug is designed to be waterproof with a friction-type seal.

The connector must be pushed in all the way, so that the lines shown in Image 1 below cannot be seen. Failure to do so can result in intermittent or no sonar returns and depth readings.

If you're having problems getting the connector pushed all the way in you can use silicon spray to help lessen the friction caused by the rubber seals. We recommend using silicon spray from CRC, Liquid Wrench or WD-40.
Spray a small amount directly into the connector hole in the back case of the product rather than on the connector itself.

Using any kind of grease can create an airlock which pushes back on the connector and may create an intermittent contact leading to loss of power or Sonar function.

Interesting solutions. I had the same issue and after talking with Josh, he gave me a phone number for Lowrance and talked to a tech named Steve. He said the issue is the "O" ring. They will compress or distort after a while and loose their ability to retain the plug. Solution is to replace the "O" ring. He insisted..."Do not use anything on the "O" ring for lubrication as the ring will lose the ability to retain the plug and will continue to work its self loose." Took his advice, cleaned the sleeve, replaced the "O" ring with no lubrication and never had a problem since. I keep a bag of "O" rings on the boat now.

Last edited:
Interesting solutions. I had the same issue and after talking with Josh, he gave me a phone number for Lowrance and talked to a tech named Steve. He said the issue is the "O" ring. They will compress or distort after a while and loose their ability to retain the plug. Solution is to replace the "O" ring. He insisted..."Do not use anything on the "O" ring for lubrication as the ring will loose the ability to retain the plug and will continue to work its self loose." Took his advice, cleaned the sleeve, replaced the "O" ring with no lubrication and never had a problem since. I keep a bag of "O" rings on the boat now.
On my Hook Reveal there appears in this image an O ring at the front of the plug but the next 2 are just part of the plug as far as I can see. The 3rd one at the right red arrow has to be seated completely in the plug hole to make full contact.

1654646944955.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks