Getting out again

I timed my upcoming knee replacement surgery by calling my surgeons office 2 weeks ago...so now i got my preadmission appointment sept. 14 and my surgery date will follow within 3 weeks...I want to get it done and be in ship shape for my winter billfishin..
ya just to mention we been fishin last off wheatly running down to port alma for lots of bow action aug 22 copper spoons off the riggers & then off erieau sunday pm ..scored a 2 man pic limit in under 2 hours...again SS mini copper spoons greasy chicken wings have been the killer again...so has the Kevorkian 2 tone purple/pink that also took our biggest at least 12 lbs pic safely released..I can report a bait forage transition where the bows feeding and coughing up smelt...and then to see them pics on the move up high feeding on freshly hatched gizzard shad...easy pickins on 4 colour off the boards and riggers set at 20ish...that afternoon several boats went east and hammered the bows on the other side of erieau pt..
will be back sat am if that light west wind holds...don't forget your copper spoons fishin them rich waters..ya we went only half way to the horseshoe and found them over 61 to 63 fow...
the pods are tight so the action is heavy...don't waste time..some guys are moving 2 ,3 times and scorin big...best boat we heard to date 33 bows landed

Good luch on your knee and hip surgeries lachine60 and w.r i.ve had 2 knees and a hip done

I timed my upcoming knee replacement surgery by calling my surgeons office 2 weeks ago...so now i got my preadmission appointment sept. 14 and my surgery date will follow within 3 weeks...I want to get it done and be in ship shape for my winter billfishin..
ya just to mention we been fishin last off wheatly running down to port alma for lots of bow action aug 22 copper spoons off the riggers & then off erieau sunday pm ..scored a 2 man pic limit in under 2 hours...again SS mini copper spoons greasy chicken wings have been the killer again...so has the Kevorkian 2 tone purple/pink that also took our biggest at least 12 lbs pic safely released..I can report a bait forage transition where the bows feeding and coughing up smelt...and then to see them pics on the move up high feeding on freshly hatched gizzard shad...easy pickins on 4 colour off the boards and riggers set at 20ish...that afternoon several boats went east and hammered the bows on the other side of erieau pt..
will be back sat am if that light west wind holds...don't forget your copper spoons fishin them rich waters..ya we went only half way to the horseshoe and found them over 61 to 63 fow...
the pods are tight so the action is heavy...don't waste time..some guys are moving 2 ,3 times and scorin big...best boat we heard to date 33 bows landed
That’s fantastic fishing mick. Makes a guy want to leave Burwell. Running that 17 miles to productive water has been tough with winds we have had. Good luck on the surgery

Hey Thanks Toad for the good luck...I wish the same good luck for others that are waiting & getting upcoming corrective surgery..that day will come soon enough..

Ya the winds have not been nice on erie and huron...I was hoping to get back out up there again off saugeen shores after 4 decent trips this month (Aug) ...but its been next to impossible..
good luck fishermen next trip out..

Last edited:
oh and don't forget everyone. The forecasts are changing a lot. I looked this morning and then again just now when we got home from our outting today, and you guessed it, the forecasts have changed on every site I look at, so as I said before, they don't really seem to know what the hell is going to happen, so look at the sites you will, but ultimately just trust your eyes and what your gut is telling you your eyes are seeing when you wake up on the day you're hoping to go.

oh and don't forget everyone. The forecasts are changing a lot. I looked this morning and then again just now when we got home from our outting today, and you guessed it, the forecasts have changed on every site I look at, so as I said before, they don't really seem to know what the hell is going to happen, so look at the sites you will, but ultimately just trust your eyes and what your gut is telling you your eyes are seeing when you wake up on the day you're hoping to go.
My gut is telling me that even tho the two hurricanes aren’t heading our way, the fact they are on the planet are affecting all aspects of climate right now. All that energy down there pulling and blowing coming from somewhere in the atmosphere.
If they weren’t there everything be a lot more stable.

Looking through last year's pictures, I had one of my better days out of Port Maitland on Sept 20. Winds this time of year are always a little higher as things start to cool down. I guess when getting to the lake is a trip, patience becomes part of the game plan. I'm usually out till at least thanksgiving on one lake or the other. Got some nice kings in early October last year on a bright sunny October day. And as for the accuracy of the long term forecasts - Rick Mercer nailed that one. -

Was out this morning out of Burwell .
Caught two plus a huge shithead ,all scattered in 48-54 fow.
Then going in started getting lots of marks between 40-45.No bites though.
Waves were picking up by 1

You know @Trevor M , you just might be right about this long weekend. Those shitty winds have moved further into Monday and a few of us are talking about going out on Sunday.

Go figure! 🙃😁

You know @Trevor M , you just might be right about this long weekend. Those shitty winds have moved further into Monday and a few of us are talking about going out on Sunday.

Go figure! 🙃😁
Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday lookin ok to me. Monday, not so much. It's got nothing to do with any tropical system either. There is ALWAYS a tropical system of some kind somewhere on the planet, but there isn't one anywhere near us that would have any impact on our weather at the moment. What's causing all this wind for us right now is a L pressure system in Northern Ontario that's slowly passing by and a H pressure system to the south of us. We're kind of in the middle

I have migrated to SSs as they are putting more fish (one model) in the boat than any other shaped/make spoon as of late.

Their finish is fragile, as are a lot of spoon manufacturers, and it doesn't take very long to see some of bare metal, but even the most beat up versions are still putting fish in the boat.

Once they stop catching...... they are history. LOL

These, direct from the manufacturer aren't exactly the same as ones I already have in my box, ( sticker eyes) but both versions appear to produce fish. If the originals perform better, I'll add the details these new ones don't have.

I have some GLS, tried to match as close to the specific hot SS as possible, sorry to say, as good as they are, they didn't meet the SS count.

A variety of makes and colours start every trip, the producers stay in, and more of them get added, and the non producers get dried off and back into the box they go.
Sorry, but what is an SS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks