Garmin handheld GPS repair needed

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hey you guys no of any electronic business that can fix my GPS map 76. The unit will not come on. The board needs to be looked at for power failure. It should be repairable according to a Garmin tech. I am in the St. Thomas area.

Mick, the Garmin repair center for Canada is in Montreal. Apparently, they are the only place authorized to repair Garmin unit as per Garmin themselves. I have checked other electronic centers and they won't touch them.Garmin's toll free number is 1-866-429-9296. However, be aware, I have a Garmin 48 hand held, older unit but works great . Internal battery is done and Garmin said they will not repair/replace the battery. Cheaper to just purchase another unit. There are ways to replace my battery though you must break the seal and the unit will no longer be water proof...not going to happen.
Hope this helps.

thanks cmac for the info...ya i had already had called garmin and the lady tells me they won't fix it...they told me to find a electronic shop...so i will try to find somebody to fix it...i have valuable locations on the unit.

I feel your pain, mine had 3 yrs of productive perch and walleye waypoints when I dropped it last month had to purchase a new one and start from scratch!

I will either get it fixed or I will be lookin into gettin that memory off the unit onto my computer...then load it onto a new Garmin 78....this disposable electronic device market is a frustrating and ongoing expense updating cell phones.. computers.. digital cameras...

I will say i do like some of the technology improvements..for example the invention of the lithium battery..but we are sure paying for it...

Last edited:
Mick, do you have an interface cable to connect your Garmin to your computer? It not, I have one. According to Garmin, this cable fits multiple models however, I do own the rights to 3 chapters of Murphy's Law and have yet to see the proceeds to any royalty cheques. Hopefully this cable will fit if you need it.

Last edited:
.I need to see if i can get this power goin on the unit first...then yes thats what i was directed to do ...but its iffy with no power...give me some time for a possible regain power repair...if not then i will look at possibly recovering the memory via accesory cable to my computer ..thanks alot cmac..i will keep that offer in mind..

You could try Cellular Magician in St.Thomas. I'm no tech expert by any means but they do that sort of stuff with cell phones all the time so maybe it's not that different. They're on Talbot street

thanks bassaholic for the info....I just took it in to the magician shop to get repaired..hopefully it does not need parts to fix it...as I was told they get there parts from China...lol...I have my fingers crossed...

thanks bassaholic for the info....I just took it in to the magician shop to get repaired..hopefully it does not need parts to fix it...as I was told they get there parts from China...lol...I have my fingers crossed...
Ya unfortunately I think all electronics replacement parts come from China. Mass produced and cheap price...good luck on getting it fixed @mick!

I had a Lowrance h2o that I bought off of joce years ago, it went on the fritz as well and after talking with joce he said because it is a sealed waterproof unit it couldn't be fixed? So I moved on to a larger combo unit. Not sure if this is the case for you mick?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks