Garmin Handheld- Backroads GPS Maps?

If you already have a gps and a smartphone with google maps I don't see the value in buying this kind of software.Garmin have great software for their products but it isn't cheap.If you have an idea where you want to go,prior to leaving you can check out the area on google maps and take screen shots.Do this if you are going to a remote area without cell signal.I hope this helps.

Backroad Mapbooks is an after market company not connected to Garmin. I have the Garmin Montana 650T GPS which had the topo Canada maps in it. I then bought the Backroad GPS Maps and it is incredible. I have them all Magellan ,Zog by Lowrence and the Montana 650T. This unit with the Backroad GPS Maps installed blows the others out of the water. IMO

Do the Backroad maps differentiate between forest and fields rather than being monochrome like Garmins Topo Canada maps? TC

quote:
Originally posted by Mumph

If you already have a gps and a smartphone with google maps I don't see the value in buying this kind of software.Garmin have great software for their products but it isn't cheap.If you have an idea where you want to go,prior to leaving you can check out the area on google maps and take screen shots.Do this if you are going to a remote area without cell signal.I hope this helps.

Ive found in most places Id want to use a handheld gps, my smart phone doesnt get service, and therefore cant access google maps, at least not quickly and effectively.

DSCF3054.jpg

I use this program on my Android phone as it lets me download the maps to the phone ahead of time. It will then work in areas without cell service:

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Mumph

Garmin have great software for their products but it isn't cheap.

if you're somewhat familiar with computers you can find most of the garmin software online and install it on your handheld for free, saving you hundreds of $$$. all that's needed is a micro SD card to hold the software and a little patience ;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks