Off Topic Garlic time

Yes goes in now, I planted 850 cloves today. Derkd I know I offered you some but maybe next season when you move to Glencoe
you'll be closer. The offer is still valid.

Yes goes in now, I planted 850 cloves today. Derkd I know I offered you some but maybe next season when you move to Glencoe
you'll be closer. The offer is still valid.
My buddy lives just down the road from glenco he lives in newburry by the tracks
Ive tried planting garlic a few times what is it that your suposto do in the spring you break off the flower or the top that sprouts i think? Have not been able to rember where i planted them in our large garden after the winter goi g to try some in a planter this year

how deep do you plant the cloves? Going to try for the first time.

4" deep and 4" apart and then a layer of leaves. That's all until spring.

I buried them in the dirt about 4' down, should I dig them up and just cover with 4" of leaves?

I buried them in the dirt about 4' down, should I dig them up and just cover with 4" of leaves?
They will be fine. Throw some mulch on you will be good. I plant 6" deep 6" apart. This was on the advice of our Trinidad farmer friend down the road. I don't bother mulching. In the spring I'll throw a layer of our composted chicken bedding on the top. It's very important to rotate your crop every year, you want 3-4 years of non-allium crop between plantings otherwise the nematodes will destroy your crop, it happened to me and I learned early.

We had a beautiful harvest this year, I only plant around 200 or so, enough for seed, canning, inevitable requests for some garlic by friends and family, and that will get us through to next summer.

the nematodes will destroy your crop,
What he said, been there done that. The crop is nearly mature and all the roots get eaten off and the plant spoils prematurely.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks