Gar pike????

Klinker24

Hello

I was out fishing bluffs bar today. The water was very calm and at one point when the sun came out we saw several fish rolling at the surface. They looked to be pike but I'm not sure. We did manage to hook into 3 of them but I was unable to land them. I never got a good hook set and they spit the hook. I managed to get the last one to the boat and from what I could tell it seemed to have a long nose on it. Do gar pike come into bluffs bar? Just looking for some insight on what these were. We probably saw 40 or 50 of them rolling around at the surface. Water temp was 74.5.

Yep...Gar Pike. I saw the same fish at the Bluffs this week but didn't bother targeting them. They are next to impossible to hook.

Yes they are. There are quite a few out there in the summer rolling around. Almost impossible to hook. Tried quite a few times when the pike don't want to cooperate.

your gonna think tis is nuts but you dont need a hook to catch them, get yourself some white nylon rope comb it out to look like a minnow or a smelt like the pic below . when they take it their tettch get taangled in it and your good to go . the first one i ever caught was in the grand on a 6 ft walleye rod and in running shoes and shorts when those teeth came out of the water i was like an 11 yr old @ a beiber concert squealing and screaming. lmao scared the living bejesus out of me .

we used to see a tonne of them at nanticoke generating , this is where i learned how to fish them . this method works big time

INFP-070300-GAR-07.gif

Yes they are. There are quite a few out there in the summer rolling around. Almost impossible to hook. Tried quite a few times when the pike don't want to cooperate.

I am new to pike fishing out at bluffs bar. We were trying to hug the weeds as much as possible but they are very thick this time of year. Should webe trolling body baits as close as possible to the weeds? That seemed to work early in the year but we had no success yesterday. Any suggestions?

At this time of the season you have to stay a bit farther out from the thick weeds beside the bar if you wanna troll. If you cast you can sight cast the open spots in the thicker weeds. I usually stay out closer to the tip this time of the season. Seems to be a bit lighter on the weeds. Troll around find bait balls and mark them and target them you'll get them. If the winds cooperate I might try out there tomorrow aft. Haven't been out chasing pike in about a month. I'll post if I have any luck.

When I worked at the bluebill marina (nearly 20 years ago). We used to just reach in and grab them out of the channel.

At this time of the season you have to stay a bit farther out from the thick weeds beside the bar if you wanna troll. If you cast you can sight cast the open spots in the thicker weeds. I usually stay out closer to the tip this time of the season. Seems to be a bit lighter on the weeds. Troll around find bait balls and mark them and target them you'll get them. If the winds cooperate I might try out there tomorrow aft. Haven't been out chasing pike in about a month. I'll post if I have any luck.

Sounds good. I will give that a try. Hoping to get back out Saturday, but the winds aren't looking favourable right now. I had some luck earlier in the year and now I'm hooked.

@spilliard1 I'm heading out there maybe this morning or afternoon. Have some chores to do around the cottage. Might see you out there with either the Lund or the Maxum. My wife says we have enough perch, but we need some pike. I'm good with that!!!

Back