FYI for Treager and Other Pellet Smokers

hvyhaul

I have an Ironwood 885 and being an obsession to detail junkie I have noticed large inconsistencies in the internal temperatures. I don't think this is unique to my smoker alone.

I deliberately place what I am cooking in locations and positions/orientation to compensate, or take advantage of the temperature variations.

When I cook, I place the part of the meat that will cook faster in the cooler area to balance it out.

It works and I think makes a difference in your finished product.

Here's a screenshot today showing just how big the variance is inside my smoker. 🌻

radtmps.jpg

I do the same thing, especially with longer cooks. Easiest way I've seen to map out the hot spots is to grab a cheap loaf of white bread, heat up the grill and spread slices evenly across your cook grates every few inches. After 20-30mins flip them all over and you'll see a 'map' of the hot/cold spots based on the browning levels.
I have a PitBoss 850 that I made a heat deflector for over the firepot that greatly helped even out the heat distribution across the grill. It also received a Savannah Stoker auto learning PID controller and faster auger motor. The upgrades produce better smoke, heats up much faster and holds temps within +/- 5 degrees.

Back