Fridge Maintenance Poll

How often do you clean your fridge's condensor coils?

• Every 6 months

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Every year

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • When I think about it

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • My fridge has condensor coils?

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Whenever I tell her to

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
My 18 year-old Kitchenaid fridge seems to be running more than normal. Before I call @maytagman , I thought I would clean up the condensor coils to see if that would help. After looking under there at the caked-on dust, it was obvious I should be doing this more often and it made me wonder if others do this maintenance routinely.

no really, I don't have any coils at the back of our Frigidaire, it's a 26 footer so need the space at the back. HOWEVER there is maintenance to be done at the bottom of the fridge which means pulling it out to getting under at the back.

Best way to load a fridge - freezer full and fridge spaced out so air can circulate around. On ours there are outlets or ducts down the inside back of fridge and we have to be carful of where we put the shelves, drawers and product to make sure the air flows around.

I think I remember that when I was 18 that I was running around more than normal too.........

@Outdorman , the condensor coils on my 2 frost-free fridges (Kitchenaid and Kenmore) are at the bottom. They are tough to get at, but it seems like they are best accessed from the front at the bottom. I watched a couple of related YouTube videos and ordered up the following on Amazon which really helped get at the coils in this tough to reach spot.

Not overloading your freezer or fridge is a good way of keeping it working but a dust clean up on the coils or compressor doesn't hurt either.

My 18 year-old Kitchenaid fridge seems to be running more than normal. Before I call @maytagman , I thought I would clean up the condensor coils to see if that would help. After looking under there at the caked-on dust, it was obvious I should be doing this more often and it made me wonder if others do this maintenance routinely.
Once a year if you have pets, otherwise every couple years vacuuming(brushing) the condenser allows the refrigerant to be condensed from a superheated vapor to a liquid. Less heat, lower pressures, shorter run time...lower kw consumption.

and your single because................ or will be...............lol........kidding

Stomp if it’s running longer than normal the evaporator could be freezing over, or a dirty condenser.
The freeze over is usually the result of a plugged drain hose. Take a light and see if the is any water in the pan under the fridge.
Use an air pig and blow out the hose that falls into the pan.
Might need to defrost for 24 hours to thaw out the evaporator

our drain hose actually froze a while ago and we were getting ice on the bottom of the freezer. Hired the same folks that service for Temperman's and they defrosted all the ice out, cleared up the drain and did a superior job at vacuuming out the bottom of fridge from both front and back.The company who did the work is called Elite Appliance.

I've never really thought of it but now you got me thinking... I will let my wife know that needs to be taken care of.
Well I spoke to her about it but all it did was start a fight...I had no idea she hadn't even bothered to change the receptacle on the stove top yet or that she feels I'm 'overloading' her with work. I'm a victim of her poor communication here.

Well I spoke to her about it but all it did was start a fight...I had no idea she hadn't even bothered to change the receptacle on the stove top yet or that she feels I'm 'overloading' her with work. I'm a victim of her poor communication here.
Has she finished organizing your ceiling-mounted fishing rods in the garage @G. Mech? That likely should take priority if not yet done.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks