Friday Port Bruce

marcel

Ended with 16 walleye-4 guys. Riggers worked well 50' back, down 63', dipseys #1 3 setting out 160' & 10 color lead a few. Spoons were best black/silver & black/orange & antifreeze. Fished in 65-66'

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/chumlee3/8714e17c.jpg

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/chumlee3/dd217fe8.jpg

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/chumlee3/7a29dd2e.jpg

Picture of my son, this one was 8lbs 15oz

Just a question . While fishing 65 fow you have your riggers down 63 . Do you still do s turns and vary your speed up and down ? If so are you dragging bottom at times ?

Sronza

We have had the cannon balls catch each other, more gradual turns. with the blow back of the cannon balls they are not going to be at 63', they will run alot higher. I do vary the speed, I try to run around 2.4 - 2.7 on the gps.

Not always a bad thing to bounce a cannonball off the bottom occasionally when trolling that deep. So long as the bottom is sand you won't hang up and that plume does attract or provoke a strike.

quote:
Originally posted by Chromeseeker

Not always a bad thing to bounce a cannonball off the bottom occasionally when trolling that deep. So long as the bottom is sand you won't hang up and that plume does attract or provoke a strike.

what exactly would the bottom of the main lake look like in 55+ fow? sand with the odd weed here and there? i should take the aqua vu out for a look sometime...

quote:
Originally posted by sronza

Just a question . While fishing 65 fow you have your riggers down 63 . Do you still do s turns and vary your speed up and down ? If so are you dragging bottom at times ?

Sronza

:)If your down 63 ft. on the counter, you are actually only down about 46-48 ft. I figure for 100 ft. of line out you are down only 70 ft.
this is because of angle of your line at the speed you are going. these numbers are based on 3 Mph. Hope this helps..:)

wouldn't things like the weight of the cannon ball effect this also ? lots of times I can have my ball at 45 ft on the counter and track my ball on the fish finder at only slightly above that

Remember that your fishfinder (sonar) is also reading the distance of the cannonball to you transducer, not the true depth, so if the ball is out behind the boat, it may show 60 feet on your counter and also 60 feet on your sonar even though it is only down 50 feet or so in the water. In these sorts of depths at 3 mph, I find the true depth on my depth probe is about 8 feet less than my counter and my fishfinder which both read close to the same.

Yes, nice to have a disscussion about fish technique and tackle rather than a couple of peckerheads braggin cause they were on fish!

Hey yellowfever jealousy will get you no where the fishing has been that good since July 1st so I guess if you haven't figured that out yet thats too bad.

thanks for the insite G. mech - makes perfect sense - never thought of that - the ole pathagorian cal'n ( a squared plus b squared = c squared)

quote:
Originally posted by Rob V

thanks for the insite G. mech - makes perfect sense - never thought of that - the ole pathagorian cal'n ( a squared plus b squared = c squared)

Right on brother, the old PYTHAG never ever dies!! You may recall another infamous posting on here from last April when Hoover gave us all a lesson on gemoetry in 3-D....it was a classic and 100% correct:

http://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16218

A good example; yesterday I was offshore Nanticoke in 115 fow with 126' of cable out on the rigger travelling 2.2 mph and not hitting bottom. Only on an inside turn did the ball hit. (so did the laker)Alot depends on the size and shape of the downrigger weights. Mine are #10 fish shaped weights.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks