Fri late afternoon/sat hunt

ship wrecked

Well we decided to go over to big rice for a evening shoot,got there but all the good spots were gone so we hunted honey pond got 1 mallard.Way to hard to get birds if you don't shoot right over decks.If you have a dog it would be good.Didn't see that much. Sat morning we went back and again the spots were gone.I don't know what time you have to get out there by to get a good spot but we were there by 6 O'Clock or so thats an hour and a half before legal shoot.So we set up on Thoroughfare point was real slow but lots of ruddies and buffles (anybody got a good recipe for these besides the garbage can)Ended up with 7, 2 mallards 1 wigeon 1 gadwall 2 bluebills and 1 redhead...no buffles or ruddies were taken even though we could have. ps bluebills in my mind are not good table fare either.

Hunted the unit for the first time on Saturday on a blind in the inner marsh. Not sure what time you have to get there to get a good spot on little rice but I was there at 4 and was car number 13 out of 13. Good day though. 3 mallards, a widgeon, a redhead, and a ruddy. Lots of birds moving. Guess the guys shooting before legal time kept them moving:D.

Chris

Hey Riverduck, you have to have a trailer there and live down the street.... But you didn't hear that from me :p

I hunted Friday morn with my lady. Wanted to let her take all the first shots so she could maybe get her first duck. She got a nice green head, and I finished off another Greenhead for her that I think she initially shot in the arse.

Missed a bunch, but hey, she was happy with her duck

Ship wrecked -- I agree with you about Buffleheads not being great tablefare, but Ruddy Ducks are fabulous eating. The key is to pluck them (not easy, but worth the effort ) and then roast them hot and fast. Back in the market-hunting days, Ruddies were considered equal to Cans and Redheads. Here's a great reference:

http://honest-food.net/2010/12/02/ruddy-ducks-the-original-butterball/

canvasback said it....Ruddies are excellent table fair, they eat wild celery....same as cans.

Thanks canvasbackca I'll give it a try.So any good shoots this week?Will be down this weekend looking forward to some shooting.Anyone want to hook up for some food and a bevy give me a post or a message.

Hello Guys,

I harvested my first Ruddy Duck last year at Blind 6.

I normally "fast fry" the boneless breast meat on a George Forman grill but when I cooked this Ruddy Duck the meat turned "black".

I may have over cooked it a bit but I did not burn it. It was not a pleasant meal.

I must of done something wrong!

Jerome

quote:
Originally posted by ship wrecked

The key is to pluck them (not easy, but worth the effort ) and then roast them hot and fast. Back in the market-hunting days, Ruddies

Hey canvasbacksca I tried a rendition of the high heat on a mallard and it was great but I think if I cooked and rested till fall off the bone it would have been better.Thanks Terry.

To each his own, Ship wrecked. But, in my opinion, those are the best ways to roast ducks, i.e., hot and fast with the meat still pink or long and slow such that the meat falls off the bones. The "medium approach" results in tough, dried-out meat that has that "liver taste" that people complain about. Try using an oven bag the next time that you do the "long and slow" recipe -- great way to roast a big, old Canada, too.

For my favorite way to roast ducks, go here and click on "The Ultimate Barbecued Bird": http://www.waterfowling.com/duckrcp

I agree Fully Dave

Everyone...go to You tube and search out a "crispy Duck" receipe. Did some Mallard breasts last week that way with an Apple Jelly and cinamon glaze. They were incredible. Just Medium rare in under 15 minutes of prep time and standing.

Did Mine utilizing my side burner on the BBQ and BBQ oven at 400F. No mess for the wife to complain about and only one frying pan to clean.

Hello Canvasback,

You stated "The 'medium approach' results in tough, dried-out meat that has that 'liver taste' that people complain about".

That was (still is) my problem when I cook my ducks as I do not think that they are cooked and then they are over done.

That 'liver taste' is exactly how I would describe my Ruddy Duck.

I only tried liver once before (by mistake) in the early 1970s while at university ... I thought that it was steak at a campus cafeteria!

My mother use to cook (fast fry) my ducks and then prepare a meal with rice and vegetables for me to take to work and heat up in a micro-wave oven. They tasted great with Ginger Ale.

My buddy cooked a domestic duck a few years ago by the "long and slow" method in a roaster inside an oven ... incredible!

I have a George Forman and a slow cooker so I will try the slow cooker with my latest Ruddy Duck.

Thanks for the tip.

Jerome

I cooked it the way it said except I took it to someones so they could all try.Pre heated oven on 500 for 30 min bird was almost up to room temp when it went into oven for about 26 min.I did soak duck over night in some stuff also stuffed some apple onion celery and orange in the cavity.Also put a little butter under the skin.It was excellent but tough around joints you have to carve it all off the bone no liver taste at all.8D

Yep, there's no way to make an old duck tender when cooked hot and fast, but instead of trying to cut the meat off of the legs and wings, just use the cave-man approach -- nothin' much better than a bit of duck fat dripping off your chin! :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks