French Onion Soup

Trevor M

As something new for my wife to try, I decided to make her French Onion Soup from scratch for our anniversary today. This is the recipe I used. Tonight we're having ribs with stuffing and a salad for supper. The ribs are marinating as I type this and have been for about 2 hours already :)

Ingredients

2 lbs Onions, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced. (julienne cut) I used 1 red onion, 1 white onion, 1 yellow onion and 2 bunches of green onion.
1 teaspoon Thyme I added it free hand as I have made it so many times I don't need to measure.
2 Bay Leaves I used 4
2 teaspoons all purpose flour I did NOT use this. It's not really necessary
1/2 teaspoon salt Again free hand. I used both table salt and season salt.
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter I used a full stick
3/4 cup red or white wine (preferably red) I used white this time because I forgot I had no red
4 cups beef broth I used a 2L juice jug to mix the powdered broth into the water then added several shots of Lea & Perrins.
1 and 1/2 cups water See above
2 cloves garlic minced (about two tablespoons) I used 3
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Added free hand again.

How to make.

Julienne your onions. When you cut them in half, slice the onion at a slight angle at the ends of the onion before you julienne it. That'll help the thin slices come apart better. Put'em in a soup pot. DO NOT ADD the green onions yet.

Add the salt, pepper, bay leaves, thyme, minced garlic and butter to the onions. Turn the heat on high, stir occasionally. You don't want to burn the onions, you want them to sweat, but you don't want them to caramelize.

Once they're ALL sweating, add the green onions and the wine. (preferably red, but white will do too) Do not cover the onions completely. Let it reduce for about 10 minutes.

Once the wine has reduced for about 10 minutes, add the beef stock (broth) and bring it to a boil, then turn the heat down to half and let it simmer for half an hour.

Taste to make sure it tastes the way you want. Add salt, pepper or onion powder as necessary to taste.

Get your bowl (make sure you can put it in the oven) place some crutons (I used garlic and butter flavored but any will do) in the bottom of the bowl.

Using a ladle, cover the crutons with the onion soup.

Cover the soup in the bowl with shredded cheese. I used Mozza, but swiss will do just as well, and place in oven at 450 degrees until the cheese has mostly melted. A couple minutes before you remove from the oven, sprinkle some grated parmesan over the melted cheese you've used. Let it sit in the oven for another 2 minutes, then remove and place the bowl on a plate that you've put paper towel on so the bowl does not slide. Remember, the bowl is going to be HOT. Don't touch it with a bare hand once it's on the plate.

PS. I CREATED A MONSTER.

This was the first time she's ever had French Onion Soup, and she LOVED IT. :)

Good thing I made a big ass pot of it, because I think she's gonna want it a little more often :ROFLMAO::giggle::giggle:

Attachments

• French Onion Soup.jpg
    French Onion Soup.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks