Frankenstorm on the way

Johny2

Greatlakes need this recharge of rainwater,5 days of good rain with superstorm sandy merging with a huge low pressure from northern manitoba. One more dry year like this past summer would make longpoint inner bay not usable for bigger boats next year just canoes and tins.

:Daccording to the marine info the waters of all the great lakes will be down by 4 feet 2 feet needed for mississippi shiping /// 2 feet for the new water tunnel at niagara hydro to look after the needs of toronto and other sites // a letter was sent to steam shipping captins and owners to this affect // also a new over 4hundred page reto fit marine water ways is sitting in parliment in ottawa to make this efficitive for the lowering of all great lakes //aparently the mighty mississippi is down several millions in shipping making the yanks very serious about this after all they own loads of water in the great lakes and control the majority of the water level control gates so here we go // this fall erie was down 4 feet proctors boat winterizing program is in great difficulty winterizing in boards as they are pluged with silt lots of flushing there //the inner bay was a duisaster at marinas // wats up for the future ??????????[?][:X]:088

quote:
Originally posted by Johny2

Greatlakes need this recharge of rainwater,5 days of good rain with superstorm sandy merging with a huge low pressure from northern manitoba. One more dry year like this past summer would make longpoint inner bay not usable for bigger boats next year just canoes and tins.

This week is nothing more than a drop in the bucket. We need heavy winter snow in the northern watershed and a very cool and wet spring and summer followed by a couple more years of the same.

Very true tinboater! Call me crazy but I'm looking forward to a cold snowy winter so I can actually get out on the bay this year for some icefishing. Last year was kind of a bad year for that around this area

I understand what your all saying,water levels are controlled and used for locks,canals,irrigation. The hydrologic cycle still has to continue, every little bit of precip is another start+winter snow pack definately needed in the north. "Farther below lake ontario..takes in what lake erie can send her". Great song by Lightfoot. Lake 0 is down as much as erie,sailboats were scraping bottom at 50pt marina. Question is how deep can ya dredge before its past the point of practical? It would just be a waiting game for the big boats and some giant commercial lakers for steady water levels.

According to this map, Long Point is in the 'Action' category

hurricane-sandy-alert-action-map-500.jpg

They say its the perfect storm bigger than 1991 but not as dangerous as hurricane hazel which killed 80 people in ontario back in 1954. Monster nor easter,sustained 70 +km winds,100ml + rain this sandy will produce. Map shows action zone up to hamilton, west to port stanley,fort erie,buffalo. Not a good day for fishing! That's for sure!

Hey Big Dave, you might want to bring the boat in off the lake side of the Point :p.

Hey guys - lets get our facts straight here.

Great Lakes levels are down, but not as much as suggested here. Levels should be measured according to "normal" or long-term average levels.

This website reports on daily averages for all of the lakes.

http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/hh/GreatLakesWaterLevels/GLWL-CurrentMonth-Feet.pdf

Blame can be put anywhere, but the fact is that winter snow pack has been low in the Great Lakes basin over the last few years, and that affects run-off to the major lakes.

Big Wally

From CNN: "Wave heights in Lake Michigan could reach 28 feet Monday night and 31 feet by Tuesday, the National Weather Service said."

Holy crap! Hopefully the forecast northerly direction of the big winds will lessen the effect on Long Point.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Dave

.Thanks for the warning Stomp, I was thinking I should cancel tomorrows charter[:eek:)]

I am home so will try and get some pics of the lake tomorrow.

I figured you would offer me a free trip tomorrow... and maybe you better go to the beer store and liquor store now just in case the causeway washes out...

Casualty of Hurricane Sandy is the tall ship HMS Bounty early this morning according to CNN news. Sadly with loss of life. I remember her passing us at the end of the Point when we were downrigging in 1986 (just a guess on the date back then)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/29/us/sandy-bounty-ship/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

DAVEEO

quote:
Originally posted by Big Dave

Hey Stomp, shouldnt you be delivering the mail around the office and not surfing the web?
:D

Mail delivery is cancelled on account of Hurricane Sandy. [^]

Hunker down!

This stormin normin sandy is no joke. 10 dead in new york city already. Take the warnings with caution stay home to fish another day. I remember a I think barrie news station filming a pottohawk piss up 10 or more year ago with lightning all over the area in the filming can't believe stooges were out there dreamin of a good time. Less than 200 boats out there,sad. Better to use common sense if there is such a thing.Don't play games with mother nature

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks