Off Topic Fox den on the farm

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
This past month I’ve noticed a fox and it’s been hanging around. Here about 2 weeks I found it’s den and kept an eye on it and finally seen some Kits. She has had 4 Kits and all are doing very well. I generally see them or the mother daily.

We have given permission to a professional photographer and he has sent these pictures.
The photographer will sit in his camo tent patiently waiting for hrs just to capture any activity.
2E641F45-30D6-4541-97C5-3691F91C5DAA.jpeg2624BD14-7EE7-42C0-A141-18B13365ECDB.jpeg25D5951C-F25B-4AA9-985A-678BDC0E00B3.jpegDDBB697B-4E4A-42BF-AEB1-AA3DC6ACFB1E.jpeg

Nice pics.We have a fox here at Peacock point.It trots down the road past our house a couple of times a week with a snack in its mouth.Nature is awesome.

Cuties

the fox and the hound GIF by Disney

Foxes are an awesome animal. The only one I have ever shot had mange so bad its tail was hairless. I am with you, I would never shoot a healthy one.

I just saw on the Port Bruce facebook group that I'm part of that a rescue was able to live trap an ill fox today that's been running around down there, (it had a bad case of mange) and he/she is now getting the medical attention it required. They're going to keep it for a while and nurse it back to health before they release it.

We have an quite an array of wild life here on the farm with deer, coyotes, wild turkey, ducks, geese and beavers. They really don’t do any harm except the beavers for which we have a licence trapper here trying to get them. I only go after the migratory birds when in season. We have only a few selected hunters that do the deer hunt and wild turkeys. I have taken the odd raccoon and possum that has destroyed bales of straw and some hay, they can be a nuisance animal

Foxes are an awesome animal
I agree and they are very smart; but my Dad hated them with a passion. He grew tobacco just a bit outside of Vittoria; back in the 60's. He also raised chickens for the eggs and the meat to feed the harvest gang. Yup the old story of the fox in the chicken coop. This fox kill off about half of the chickens before my dad had a chance to introduce it to the 16 gauge double barrel shot gun. Dad tried a bunch of things trying to secure the coop; but that little bugger always found a different way into the coop. Dad said he would have left the fox alone if it would have left the chickens alone. The fox new there was easy pickings and wasn't going to stop until there was nothing left for him to eat.

Dan.

I watched a fox while deer hunting one morning last fall. He was nose to the ground going in circles. He picked up 2 or 3 mice that morning, and I missed the buck of my life. Biggest buck I have ever seen. Shot lots of heavy body 10 pointers, but this guy was a monster. I was focused on the fox, and missed my chance.

we have a fox living close that we see 2 to 3 times a week it finds moles in our yard he dose not sem to be bothered by us or our dogs i have walked within 20 feet of her at times and she just sits and looks at me as if to say go away

@Three Bouys... Hey Jim the young fox are called a pups not a kittens, MEOW. LOL! They are a member of the Canidae family same as a dog. Sorry for being a stickler but fantastic photos of the Red Fox and her pups. Thanks for sharing. 😁

We had Muscovy ducks a number of years back..around 15 ducks..in our backyard and on our pond. We started losing them at a rate of 1/day...a fox family living nearby noticed the duck-buffet. We were down to the last few ducks, and I came out one evening and saw the offender at the back with a deceased duck in her mouth. I had a .17RM Savage with a 8-24X Leupold at the back door waiting...got it out on the deck, crosshairs on the fox...and there was no way I could dispatch her. A totally beautiful specimen with some silver hair in her pelt. I thought...foxes gotta eat too...and thats where the ducks were destined for..so I fed the foxes. Good for them, bad for the ducks though...

When I lived in Yellowknife we had to always watch out for the Arctic foxes when we were driving, especially out by the two gold mines and just past the airport. They were common in the less residential areas and they always seemed to get in front of cars and like the muskox and buffalo on the highways heading into Yellowknife, especially just north of the Mackenzie river, the foxes thought they owned the road but unlike the muskox and buffalo, a simple blast of the car horn would get the foxes out of the way most times, although sometimes they'd run right in front of the car in the same direction you were going so you were moving, but slowly. Can't say that about the muskox or buffalo though. They moved when they wanted too so sometimes you sat for an hour or more waiting and blowing the horn was not a very good idea. Like a moose, blowing the horn can cause them to attack and they'll write your car off in a hurry.

Last edited:
This is so awesome... if I had any spare time at all I'd be begging you to let me come film them. Once in a lifetime opportunity! A lot cooler than the robin's nest we have at home. lol

@Three Bouys... Hey Jim the young fox are called a pups not a kittens, MEOW. LOL! They are a member of the Canidae family same as a dog. Sorry for being a stickler but fantastic photos of the Red Fox and her pups. Thanks for sharing. 😁
Fox young are most definitely not called pups. They’re called kits, like the OP stated.

Cool critters either way...until they take out your chickens. Then it’s shoot on sight.

Fox young are most definitely not called pups. They’re called kits, like the OP stated.

Cool critters either way...until they take out your chickens. Then it’s shoot on sight.
Just trying to wind Jim up. LOL! Actually they are are called kits, cubs or pups and some even call them whelps. I guess it's like the other debate is it a pickerel or a walleye. :)

We have a fox den just 40 yards from the back door. Never had a problem with them but I don't feed them and never leave garbage where they can get it. My three dogs have even gotten use to them and basically ignore them. I usually put a game camera on the hole to get pictures of the kits like this. Not as nice photography as TB's got but fun to see them.
MFDC0079.JPG

May 2019 up at hunt camp for 2 weeks

I easily made friends with this fox..with a couple wild game pepperettes..
this one is not just your typical camp fox..he was very friendly..and didn't over do it with the pepperettes..It was nice to have him around..

spring walleyes 2019 145.jpg spring walleyes 2019 154.jpg
spring walleyes 2019 151.jpg spring walleyes 2019 153.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks