Fishing Report Found in a bass

LuckyWon

8E36C2F6-43C5-4F0E-B945-14AA1CAD9085.png I was fishing Bay of Quinte on sat in Belleville, caught a couple nice large mouth bass, when I got home and cleaned the one bass, there is something in the meat that I cut out, I was wondering if any one knew what this could be, and would it still be safe to eat the fish? Thanks Brent, sorry the picture was on a news paper!!

I've never seen that before so not sure what that is, maybe a tumor of some kind. I definitely would not eat the fish! :yuck:
I don't care if the Bay price matches or not I wouldn't buy it! ;)

if your really interested in getting an explanation you could send that photo to the ministry of enviroment ..I call them occasionally about our toxic fish here in our great lakes...you know the guide to eating ontario sport fish...that is not the best read for most great lakes anglers...ya the content is not good..

anyway there is an email for questions about fish contamination at fishguide@ontario.ca

you can also call them at 1-800-820-2716...sometimes you have to leave a message and they will call ya back and chat...they are a bit under staffed

I suggest using latex gloves while handling something like that...

the good news is I checked my 2017 guide for ya and your in luck ...the guide reccomends you can safely eat 2 meals of largemouth bass per month
a meal or portion size is 8 oz raw weight.. that quote is for largemouth length for fish just under 14" to just under 18" ...

I should add that stomp & waverunner are right...I wouldn't eat the bass that contained that glob of brown meat...
The toxins in our fish are not so easy to identify, as we visually can't see them...are they a health risk... our province thinks so...as they have spent millions of precious tax dollars on providing the guide to help fishermen decide to make healthier choices on the fish we catch & keep to feed our familys...I can remember way back when our government tried to inform us by offering the free guide at the LCBO & beer stores..hey you cant fool the government..they knew we were drinkin beer & cleanin fish...now its to expensive.. so you can read the guide online or call them for a paper copy..ya its free...just like our health care.lol...seriously the correlation is preventitive...

ya last quote...lake ontario toxins in fish location are very similiar to lake erie contaminated fish...the further east you go the lesser toxins in fish...the further west you go..well ya its more..and its been that way for a long time...

Last edited:
If you happened to throw the chunk of ???? in a freezer bag perhaps they might want you to send it to them? Seeing that in 1 fish caught would make me skeptical of eating any fish from the same body of water

This why I don't eat anything from Quinte
This Walleye we caught in Picton near the cement plant few years ago.
I'm sure Andy Todd (lake Ont manager) would be interested in that specimen at the Glenora Ferry
jncw7Zl.jpg

Last edited:
This why I don't eat anything from Quinte
This Walleye we caught in Picton near the cement plant few years ago.
I'm sure Andy Todd (lake Ont manager) would be interested in that specimen at the Glenora Ferry

Hey FF pretty sure that's Walleye Dermal Sarcoma which is a form of cancer found only in walleye. I've caught some walleye with it here in Lake Erie over the years. Some call it walleye warts and say anglers need not worry they are safe to eat but should cook well, yeah right!

10-Warts-Chris-Darnall%2C-MDCCMYK_0.jpg

you guys don't like calliflower ...me neither...years back it was said the tumours are a natural occuring virus on our walleyes?...It was stated not to be a health risk to humans..and didn't hurt the walleyes either...sure
Out fishin pics with my mom years ago...we would land one with sores and my mom said they got cancer and she said throw it back...so that was the boat fishin rule..
I bet if we could see the mercury and other contaminants...some of us would be more selective what we catch & keep to eat..I do try to put a limit on my walleye fish fries..this season was a bonus catchin and keepin and eatin the spikes...

it does state in the 2017 guide we can safely eat 12 meals per month of central basin walleyes 15.75" to 19.75" ...I thought it was a misprint..and called and confirmed...but over that length your safe to eat 4 meals per month...the trace amounts of toxins gets worse..rainbow trout is one meal a month over 17.75"
and the culprit is PCBs...ya not good..

I started this season releasing all my chrome. Zero for the smoker!!! Huron is not much better, I use to can down my quality huron salmon & trout when they were safe like many others...its just a memory..

I was shocked to read last fall my bargin of 30+ lbs of Atlantic NFLD cod fish had a mercury advisory health risk...lol...the pacific ocean is the last of the cleanest...

Last edited:
Got this guy off the Sand Hills in June of this year. I rinsed the table off before I took the picture but let me tell you the smell of that tumour was something unworldly...I had to walk away for a minute to let the table area air out a bit. The discolouration was actually right through the entire fish even the cheeks.IMG_0928.JPG

WOW....that walleye is disgusting water wolf...and you said the odour was worse...I believe it...

my doctor told me years ago to stop eating lake erie fish...that was after testing my blood 2X and said I had over the limt mercury...

heres a few snack size erie walleye fillets from this season below that tasted pretty good...potato salad instead of french fries...fries r better
upload_2017-10-17_13-28-44.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-17_13-25-24.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-17_13-25-24.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 4
Mick... Looks GREAT... Is the batter a secret ? My mouth is sure watering, when is the next cook up ? I need some practice on cooking like that, great job..Red..

Nice mick. Sorry I don't have any pictures of my fried fish... It never stay on my plate long enough for a picture to happen. Here's one of duck blind and I eating it all before it got to a plate. It never lasts long around the hungry wolves. IMG_1239.JPG

Yeah some pretty disgusting things going on with our fish, but those golden fried puppies do look pretty good @mick.
Oh well inevitably we are all going to die one way or another so stopping from eating Erie fish won't change that inevitable fact.
No way of getting away from drinking, ingesting or breathing in innumerable contaminants every day so heck let's eat, drink and be merry while we can. :D

Got this guy off the Sand Hills in June of this year. I rinsed the table off before I took the picture but let me tell you the smell of that tumour was something unworldly...I had to walk away for a minute to let the table area air out a bit. The discolouration was actually right through the entire fish even the cheeks.View attachment 6774
Got two like that last year Sent them away to the ministry and never heard a thing

thanks for the warning on the rotten walleyes...omg thats terrible

Hey @Red Fisher I have been meaning to tell ya when i was a youngster I always enjoyed watching your TV show on channel 13 Kitchener on the ol black & white TV...(y)

thanks you guys for liking my plate of pics,...that dish was the ol golden dip tempera batter pan fried in peanut oil...and a good pinch of sea salt on the plate..I enjoy the tail curled..as you can sea.. and it goes in tail first..lol

Ya @Water Wolf thats a great way to fry some time on the picket line.. eatin fresh fried fish!!! ...ya I got the propane outdoor cooker too...thats a great way when you got alot of mouths to feed...I can cook a wack of fish quick on mine too...the best part is its outside...pan fried on the stove I set-up my kitchen so most of the fishy smoke blows out the window with a big fan....lol..

hey @Wave Runner those are great words of wisdom...and I totally agree about the enviroment we live in...I do believe in moderation in most of my choices...except not sittin on a bar stool...erie fishing is what it is...and it should be good next season..I am getting out early and hittin them rainbows
by the time it comes will all be itchin to go:)

Last edited:
Do we really know the pollution levels in ocean caught fish? Could be off the charts at times! Got to wonder, 0 meals per month smelts recommended from eastern lake erie, yet they are fished commercially aren't they? Plastics in ocean fish is becoming an issue. Whos idea was it to get rid of glass pop bottles 40 years ago anyhow? What a dummy.

Did you know Tuna is 5 times over the human consumption with mercury caught off PEI.
That's why its flash frozen, sent to China, Japan, canned and sent back here, they have a magic wand that rids it.:whistle::shifty:

Do we really know the pollution levels in ocean caught fish? Could be off the charts at times! Got to wonder, 0 meals per month smelts recommended from eastern lake erie, yet they are fished commercially aren't they? Plastics in ocean fish is becoming an issue. Whos idea was it to get rid of glass pop bottles 40 years ago anyhow? What a dummy.
Boats coming into Dover with tons of smelts are shipped to Japan. the fish store in Dover sells only off shore Smelts, whats with that. Got to ask yourself, what you read true.
Ever wonder about our fish we eat from Erie, Gobbies are full of Botulism??

Good topic guys. Yes we must stop and look at these numbers, our intake may decrease!!!! @mick .. Yup was on the old chair watching also "Scuttle Butt Lodge" was the place to be, spent many hours watching the show.. RED...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks