Forum Software Upgrade...

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
Now that my re-hab is over, I'm back at the helm of 6-8 and will try to steer a truer course.

I've just upgraded the forum software to version 1.2. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the new features. From a user standpoint, the biggest change looks to be with a new responsive design to better support mobile devices. This should make it easier for you to access 6-8 when on the water or on the go. Also, there is a new editor that better supports image upload . Users can cut and paste images directly into the editor if you have the Chrome or Firefox browsers. From an admin standpoint, I can now merge your accounts, so if you had an old account created in the old forum and then created a new account in order to get logged into the new forum, I can now (in theory) merge your two accounts.See below for a full list.

Also, while I was away, I see that some site E-mails stopped working on Wednesday of this week. This is affecting password resets among other things. I've opened a ticket with my web hosting company so, hopefully, they'll have that fixed soon.

New Features - version 1.2
User merging and bulk user management
Post edit history and logging
Signature permissions
Route filters (a system to change XenForo's URLs)
Template modifications and comparison utilities
Template merging and edit history
A new editor with drag and drop, image paste support, user tagging, and iOS/Android support
A fully responsive design
Support for watching a forum
User group and staff banners
Bulk thread management
...and much more.

See http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-2-0-released.55982/ for more about these features

Last edited:
Hey Stomp,

I went on my iphone 4s and pulled up the site and it looks great and really easy to read vs how I was trying to read the post before on the water. I tried to upload a pic from my iphone directly into one of my post this week and it stated the file was too large to upload. What's the max size of a pic do I need to set my iphone so that I can upload pictures quick and easy.

Thanks - Jeff

Great to hear Jeff, thanks! Better support for mobile users is one of the big reasons behind changing the forum software in the first place, so I'm happy to know that it looks better. Max size for attachments is currently set at 1 meg (1024 KB). The reason for this is that I only have so much space to hold photos and if I stored very high res and large photos, that storage would soon be gone. Going with a photo storage provider like photobucket or flickr is, IMO, a much better option. As well, for viewing on the web, there isn't really a need for super high res photos.

Just uploaded my wednesday post with picture through my iphone. After picture was taken I uploaded it to my skydrive account which is set to down size the picture and uploaded from their directly into my post all from my iphone. Now everyone will be able to send action pictures within minutes if you can a signal because once I hit 62-fow I start to loose the signal with my bell account but I've seen some rogers still getting a signal.

That was easy !

Thx Daze. I was out in about that depth with Big Dave last summer on a Rogers device and, after assuming the preacher position in the pulpit, was able to get a signal with a few bars.

Hey Stomp awesome new site format!! Just signed on for the day and i'm seeing the usual screens but squished to only half the screen size on my bbz10, any reason for this?? The ads on the page are full size though

It's the same way on my kid's iPhone. It's the new out of the box settings for Xenforo. I think that once you select a thread, it's easier to read the post, but I agree, the forum list looks like crap. It's probably because the Google ad code isn't 'responsive' to the size of the device screen (but I gotta pay the bills, so we're stuck with it for now). I'll see if I can tweak Google ad code.

Google just yesterday released, in beta, a 'responsive' version of their ad code. I'm working an applying those changes to 6-8.

Hey Stomp awesome new site format!! Just signed on for the day and i'm seeing the usual screens but squished to only half the screen size on my bbz10, any reason for this?? The ads on the page are full size though
Please have a look now bassaholic. I've applied Google's new responsive format to the 6-8 pages and it looks good on an iPod. Hopefully it looks better now on your BB z10.

Good to know; thanks. Because it's a beta, it may not work too well. Anyway, 6-8 is almost getting modern in its application of technology.

This is my go-to site on Erie fishing. Many thanks for keeping it going so well.
Will we be able to get the time of posting showing correctly? I never did find any option to change the time.

Thanks,
BillO
London

Hey Billo, if you click on your name at the top right of the screen and then click on preferences you can set your time zone, should be eastern I believe. Hope this helps.

Miss not being able to see how many views a post has...other than that a great new look :)
Mrs. BR

Hey Billo, if you click on your name at the top right of the screen and then click on preferences you can set your time zone, should be eastern I believe. Hope this helps.

Bassaholic,
MANY thanks for that info! I didn't know about that function. I thought setting the time must be somewhere, but just didn't think to look at that method. I've re-set to Eastern and feel that all is well now.
BillO

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks