Food Sealer Vacuum Packing

Personally I've owned a Food Saver for years but still find that freezing fish in water provides superior results. I find that the frozen vacuum bags often get damaged when moving items in the freezer and the contents are compromised. If water bags are damaged they may leak when defrosted but the contents often survive.

Thats how my grandpa did and thats how I do it now

Hard to change when you are old like me , in water now and forever if I don't forget. Never had problem with any yet.

Personally I've owned a Food Saver for years but still find that freezing fish in water provides superior results. I find that the frozen vacuum bags often get damaged when moving items in the freezer and the contents are compromised. If water bags are damaged they may leak when defrosted but the contents often survive.

I used to do it that way also Arnie for many years and yes it worked well. But since I bought a freezer with shelves about 15 years back I don't have to shuffle everything around trying to find something so don't damage the packaging anymore. I don't need the extra bulk of the water, they stack neatly and the fish still tastes great. The first thing I do with any meat or other stuff we will freeze that we get from the grocery store is get it out of those useless styrofoam packing trays and vacuum pack it. Never get freezer burn anymore. (y) :)

Maybe I'm missing something but according to my math, I can buy the pre-made bags 11x16 for 36 cents/bag. If I buy a 11" x 50 foot roll and make my own, it works out to 40 cents/bag. I'd rather let them cut and seal one end for me, my wife won't do it.

I do use the precut bags also but as @icefisherman said sometimes you need bigger bags because the precut size doesn't suffice for all applications. Not so much for fish but for larger items such as racks of ribs, roasts and steaks or for the bulk trays of hamburger my wife likes to use for making spaghetti or chili etc. for family meals. I will cut the end off the grocery store Styrofoam tray, slide it into the larger cut bag I made from the roll then hold the hamburger with my hand while sliding the tray out from under the burger.
Vacuum and seal... no ridiculous freezer burn and the hamburger always stays fresh. :)

I do use the precut bags also but as @icefisherman said sometimes you need bigger bags because the precut size doesn't suffice for all applications. Not so much for fish but for larger items such as racks of ribs, roasts and steaks or for the bulk trays of hamburger my wife likes to use for making spaghetti or chili etc. for family meals. I will cut the end off the grocery store Styrofoam tray, slide it into the larger cut bag I made from the roll then hold the hamburger with my hand while sliding the tray out from under the burger.
Vacuum and seal... no ridiculous freezer burn and the hamburger always stays fresh. :)

Understood.... we don't have real meat at our house though and now you've made me hungry and jealous. My wife only freezes berries and things so they will always fit in the bags.

Understood.... we don't have real meat at our house though and now you've made me hungry and jealous. My wife only freezes berries and things so they will always fit in the bags.

Thawed out 2 thick vacuum packed rib steaks and was sizzling them on the BBQ last night when that nasty storm came out of nowhere almost washing me right off the deck. Only had about 2 minutes to go to perfection and boom instant torrential rain with 110 kph wind that soaked me in 1 millisecond putting an abrupt end to my grilling session. Big trees and branches down with debris all over the area and then right after the hydro goes out which didn't come back on until 6 am this morning. Sure glad I bought a new gas generator after the last 46 hour power outage a month ago. :happy:

That storm was quick to appear and fairly fast to stop in Simcoe area, sun shining 20 minutes after rain stopped, hydro only blinked here. Well how did new generator preform ?

X2 Good quality freezer bags, filets in then fill with water make sure you get the air out and zip, freeze, they last for years.

That storm was quick to appear and fairly fast to stop in Simcoe area, sun shining 20 minutes after rain stopped, hydro only blinked here. Well how did new generator preform ?

It actually performed very well even above my expectations. After seeing the excellent reviews I got a Firman P03501 4,450 watt from Lowes which happen to be on sale for half price. This was the first time I used it and it powered my sump pump, freezer, refrigerator, 2 fans (better than nothing when central A/C is down), both TVs with HD satellite receivers and some lights with ease. It ran for 12 hours straight from 6 pm yesterday to 6 am this morning and amazingly when I shut it off the 5 US gal. tank still had 3/8 of a tank left.

I normally freeze fish in good freezer bags with water too
but I do like doing some in the food saver bags for quick defrosting .
thanks for the info , I ordered some from the website too

Well tried out the new bags from Flex Pack and very happy with the quality. Alot stronger then the food saver ones as the cutter on the food saver has a harder time cutting through these ones
Sealed some with the 6" roll. Cost me 10 bucks for 50 feet

Attachments

• 20180704_215330.jpg
    20180704_215330.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 32
Neighbour and I are splitting an order. I've never had a saver before, but based on his experience and math, less than half of what he usually paid for much more.

Looking forward to the orders arrival as I am down to a few zip seal Foodsaver bags.

Looks like I am the only one that uses Vac bags and still freezes my fish in water! Real simple with my 15" Cabela's vac unit. Fill the 8" bag with 1-2lbs of fish...top off with water, clamp the sealer down on the bag and hit the manual push button until the air is out of the bag and then manually seal....its been great now as the bags are sealed perfectly, fish are froze in water and they can be just tossed in the freezer without worrying about the bags leaking!

Back