Flu season is here

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Ya this thread is a little off topic but it could effect your outdoor activities

Just to let ya know there is a nasty virus going around here in St. thomas and ???....and unfortunately I picked it up on monday at our local library...I ended up going to my local hospital to the emergency room and consulted with one of the emerg doctors ...they did some testing and now I have been diagnosed with pneumonia...they put me on some heavy duty antibiotics and a steriod puffer to open up my lung tissue so i can breath..

hey I got my flu shot 3 weeks ago...but the serum in this years batch of flushots are totally useless as I have been told by many...the ministry of health is responsible for cheaping out...and that is absoulutely ridiculious to let us suffer needlessly...just another waste of our precious health care dollars

I have never been sick with flu and for me to get sick like this is a real shocker

Anybody else succomb to this nasty virus that lasts weeks and weeks...this is just a warning that the worst is yet to come...

Last edited:
I gave up on the flu shot years ago.
I've heard of people getting a nasty virus
Last couple of weeks
Yet to pick it up myself.

My wife had the virus a month ago and it was bad. She picked it up at the hospital getting her wrist operated on.

Best thing I can tell ya is pack up your suit case and get on a jet and head down south and do some bill fishin...

this is a killer virus and it is down right nasty...i guess thats happens when you run your self into the ground traveling approx 14,000 kms around the country hunting critters in just a month...and thats not countin all the travel for huntin and gettin supplies..tack on another 1500 K easy for that

next huntin season I want my pilots licence and fly out ...I can attach the antlers on the wings coming home...see I am gettin smarter...and thats no newfy joke either..

Last edited:
Some people are just PIGS. They could care less. They are sick yet go out shopping or whatever and spread their germs - send the kid's to school.....and on and on. I can appreciate that sometimes sh*t happens, you need to get out but come on.........Tim Horton's/MacDonald's........really

Please don't laugh cause I'm being serious - carry a small bottle of Hand Sanitizer in your truck/car and use it. Stores with/without buggies don't sanitize anything/same with their doors, counters etc. Just 1 example which we are all aware of.

FYI My Flu lasted almost 6 weeks. It was bad. My Dr made house calls on me.

Had a Pneumococcal (spelling?) shot cause I'm prone to lung infection and planning on getting a Flu shot.
mick is right - if your run down chances are you may pick up a virus that's tough to get rid of. (I pushed hard this summer and fall renovating my house and down went my resistance.) Stay healthy my friends.

absoulutely bobbyb.....ya stay healthy boys and girls

I would like to comment on what ever virus or flu i had is DONE & GONE and its not gonna come back here...it was a 12 day duration and a nasty 8 days of absoulute terrible suffering

Anyway i just want to get down south asap ....but jan. can't come soon enough...i just wanta do some bill fishin in the tropics and forget all about how brutual winter can be and making you feel like ship...

just to share what worked for me was large doses of Vitamin C and A...including apple juice and apples ...and flush that poison out with lots of hot liquids....soup, tea, and a shot rye for my chest..

omg absoulute nonsense...this health care system...what a joke...this so called flu shot..
that has cost millions of health care dollars and increases the flu virus and with all the un necessary human suffering...never ever again will i fall victim to a flu shot...you can tell this minister Dr. Hoskins to shove it...i did..it use to be deb mathews...weren't we so lucky...

Last edited:
Thanks Stomp for your thoughtfulness....I guess I didn't realize how brutual a flu virus/pneumonia can make you so sick....absoulutely a traumatic event for me...as I have never got sick with the flu since childhood..rememebering when we went to school and picked up every sickness there was...

Yes Stomp I have looked at numerous articles stating the flu shot is your best chance to ward off and fight the flu virus's

I also have researched that the viral scientists here in Canada & U.S.A were developing a super vaccine to beat every flu virus on the planet within 1 to 2 years..and this was approx. 4 to 5 years ago..this has not happened yet....I believe in the articles that say the flu shot is poor and useless and almost as worse as last years serum here for the residents of Ontario

The fact is this outdated serum/vaccine we are getting isn't catching up to the different virus strains and the virus's increase of destructiveness as time goes forward...this is a serious threat to our health and well being...and our health professionals know it...and there on it right now...

Furthermore the unfortunate others here in the city of St. Thomas have picked up this nasty flu virus just after weeks of getting the flu shot?...it is what it is...I feel forget the flu shot until the improvements are developed and proven to convince me the flu shot is lethal to kill the flu virus's ..i will then consider it...so get on it ministry of health on gettin that done...for everybodys sake...

I feel your best defense is take care and improve your immune system...and when going out in public keep your hands clean...i wear my tight shooting gloves and I am staying clear away from the people that are coughing and sneezing and blowing there nose...omg

this is just my educated opinion and just to disclose I never studied medicine and law...my 3 years of college was just engineering...lol

Last edited:
I feel your best defense is take care and improve your immune system...and when going out in public keep your hands clean...i wear my tight huntin gloves and I am staying clear away from the people that are coughing and sneezing and blowing there nose...omg

This is vital according to my Dr. mick.
Many people are "carrier's" and never get whatever virus is floating around. Scary stuff as these Virus's mutate into new strains.

There are a lot of misconceptions about influenza vacs.
I'm a Registered Nurse at LHSC, and we have a very aggressive vac program for employees...basically you get it or you don't come to work during the flu season.
Influenza vacs are always the best guess as to this years strains as they go into production long before anyone knows exactly what strains will be dominant during the flu season. Even if the vac isn't for a specific strain floating around the community it will help to lessen the severity and the symptoms of the flu if you contract it.The vac NEVER causes influenza, so you needn't worry that getting a shot will give you the flu.
Mick is correct with saying hand hygiene is your best defense against a virus. Wash wash wash. Transmission of the virus is 1) direct or indirect (e.g., doorknobs, keyboards) contact with an infected person, 2) contact via large droplet spray from a respiratory fluid (via coughs and sneezes), and 3) inhalation of fine airborne particles, which are generated by the release of smaller, virus-containing ....so if you're sick, cover your mouth!!
Public vac programs are as much or more for the good of society than for the individual, so get vaccinated and help out your fellow human.

I got a good laugh on that quote there bobbyb...thanks for that..lol

Well DaveJ...happy to read you are a medical professional as a RN...congradulations on a rewarding career...

Ya I have researched micro biology regarding virus's and it is facinating science...but it is seems very threatning and fearful on the what ifs...omg

Anyway thanks for complementing my post with your medical education on combating the flu virus's

I only started taking the flu shot when I first started living with my GF who also works at LHSC as a Cardilogy Technologist. As DaveJ stated every employee at the LHSC hospitals are committed to taking a mandatory flu vaccine injection. I thought It was necessary for me to take the flu shot as I felt a threat of her bringing the virus's home from working in the hospital...At the time I thought that was a just common sense approach...I am now back to enjoying my bachelor hood...absoulutely...lol

Last edited:
In my experience the absolute best place to pick up the flu is at the hospital. After all that's where most of the sick people end up so unless I'm unconscious inside an ambulance I'm not going there. :smuggrin:

My wife faithfully gets her flu shot every year and I don't. Guess what she's the one who gets the flu and I never do. I'm not a rocket scientist but I still believe "If it's not broke don't try to fix it." ;)

Cleanliness has been and always will be your best defense. (y)

@mick
Not sure where you heard that the flu shot "serum" (as you put it.) kills the flue virus.
Sorry but that is just wrong.

The flu shot is suppose to introduce the virus into your system
Just enough so your white blood cells are familiar with it and know how to combat it when you are inoculated with enough that would typically get you sick..

combat and kill are pretty close....lol...how we get so technical on our lanauge of english...sorry buddy I majored in high end mathematics...

to bad it doesn't work...like i said I get the flu shot and a few weeks later I get a heavy duty flu?

Hey maybe our healthcare providers can give us the flu shot one in each arm for next season..

Last edited:
Any other advice on pick ups @Wave Runner?:LOL:

The only other advice on pick ups I can give is that the new 2017 Ford Super Duty with it's 32,500 lb. towing capacity should pull most boats used by the members on here. ;)

I'm just a simple man so other than that I suggest @mick is the one for detailed advice on just about everything and anything. I think he's wrote at least a dozen books on the one topic in this thread alone. :jawdrop: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :hilarious:

Mick--yeah, I know a bunch of people at the hospital who get the flu vac (mandatory) and then a week later...sick. Usually not the flu, and if it is, it wasnt caused by the vac--dosn't work that way. However, I know a bunch of people who refuse the vac--they choose to wear a mask or go home. I believe that our individual immune systems all respond differently to vacs, and I wonder if the introduction of a virus weakens it for some??

Yes DaveJ we are all different and react different to all kinds of things in life including medicine...thanks for the quote confirming my experience and others I know that got the flu vac and miserably sick shortly after...i find that troubling...and can't figure why? I thought my immune system was super charged but i did run myself down traveling...drivin over 14,500 kms across the country to both ends huntin alberta/BC border and then home and repack and then out to NFLD and return in a just over a months time...it did wear me out...lol

Last edited:
Get yourselves some Oxivir tb wipes for the house, kills all the nasty Viruses and bacteria and very safe! Most hospitals are using them now as prevention.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks