Floro- Leader Lines?

walleyeman

I have a few questions I liked to ask ! First up -How long of a floro leader line are most of you running from your dipsys? Secondly-What pound-test is preferable and make of fluorocarbon? Thanks again and tight-lines! Walleyeman.

I make the leader no longer than the length of the rod. That way it is manageable when you are landing a fish or just bringing your rig in.

I use Seaguar Fluoro Leader. It's been around longer than most....may be the first. Seaguar is thinner than others I've tried and the quality is excellent. I prefer 20 pound for my dipsy and replace it every year. I'm not sure that is necessary but I seem to get more hits using new leader material. I think it is less visible and becomes scuffed with use. General rule is no longer than length of rod and recommend you go maximum.

I run braid too the dipsy, then i have premaid 5-7' leaders with heavy duty snap swivels, I use 15lb YO-ZURI Hybrid Fluorocarbon, in camo green

been catching most fish on the dipsys , so i guess it works.

nothing wrong with seagur though!!

I use Seaguar Fluoro Leader. It's been around longer than most....may be the first. Seaguar is thinner than others I've tried and the quality is excellent. I prefer 20 pound for my dipsy and replace it every year. I'm not sure that is necessary but I seem to get more hits using new leader material. I think it is less visible and becomes scuffed with use. General rule is no longer than length of rod and recommend you go maximum.

I agree 100% with yor scuffing theory Arn. Even fishing 4# flouro for bows during the runs I've noticed that fish will shut off if abrasion whitens the line by the bait. Flouro is cheap compared to "wasting" my precious few floatfishing hours. The devil is always in the details. That's why I always start my drifting days with at least 2 dozen pretied leaders ready to go at a moments notice.

I have a question associated with this post. What is the best knot to tie fluorocarbon to swivels and hooks? My research came up with this. Am I on the right track with this knot. Thanks again for the question and replies. Beanstir

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks