Off Topic Flip over ice shelter

fish_for_life

Site Sponsor
Looking for recommendations for a flip over type shelter for 2 that can be easily pulled by hand ? Not looking for tent/hub style.

And go ....

Thanks

The Clam Nanook XL at 72 lbs. is probably one of your lightest 2-man flip overs but none are easy to pull by hand when there' snow on the ice. Nothing pulls like a Smitty sled so here's one of the most ingenious rigs I've seen to convert a flip over into a Smitty sled. Flip overs need to sit flat on the ice so mounting one on a Smitty would require dismounting it from the sled once you wanted to set it up which would be a pain when running and gunning. This just uses spring loaded coffee table lift hardware bolted to the side that lifts the tub about 8 inches high so your not dragging snow as it rides on 2 used skis mounted on the bottom. Wax the skis once in awhile and it glides effortlessly. They say to use a 20 ft. rope attached to the top of the skis not the bottom on each side then attached to a body harness it will pull so easy you may have to watch getting run over at times. Watch how slick it works and the hardware is cheap to buy.

s-l1600.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lift-Up-Top-Coffee-Table-Furniture-Hardware-Mechanism-Spring-Hinge-Fitting-Frame/163163507873?_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=2&asc=20160323102634&meid=c0c92ba3221b4bc8bb3fdaa30362a89a&pid=100623&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=142797879682&itm=163163507873&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Attachments

• 1574271575683.png
    1574271575683.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
If pulling by hand ice conditions make all the difference.
Glare ice will be easiest. With cleats.
Deep snow or slush will be a problem.
One requiring 2 to pull would be even worse.

Thanks for that. I was already thinking Smitty sled , but that is a cool idea.
If you decide to make one go with cross country skis versus downhill skis
The couple I made I found cross country skis work better narrower is better less friction easier pulling as wave runner mentioned longer rope is to your advantage also, I also used a old golf bag padded strap and tied two section of rope from tips of skis to each side of the padded strap went around my waist to prevent less back ackes or position it over one shoulder but found if to high I would get back ackes also I drilled holes in the top tips of the skis to tie the rope to em, hope this helps and good luck ?
JJ

If you decide to make one go with cross country skis versus downhill skis
The couple I made I found cross country skis work better narrower is better less friction easier pulling as wave runner mentioned longer rope is to your advantage also, I also used a old golf bag padded strap and tied two section of rope from tips of skis to each side of the padded strap went around my waist to prevent less back ackes or position it over one shoulder but found if to high I would get back ackes also I drilled holes in the top tips of the skis to tie the rope to em, hope this helps and good luck ?
JJ

More good advice !! I used downhill previously thinking they would be better. Would have never guessed that the cross country would be better .
Thanks.

I have 2 Clams, a single and a Nanook. They are very good quality. My son has a Yukon and while it's a little roomier and has nicer seating it is a little heavier. TC

I agree with Puddle Jumper on the metal edges for more grip . What bites the ice alot better are snowblades , (approx 34" skiis ) but only less than 30 mph , above that then stability is lost . Just an idea .

I have a Nanook. Outstanding hut but as has been said, a heavy haul in the snow. I tow with the atv and once setup, its pretty luxurious..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks