Off Topic Flies in your firewood ?

Old Cut LongPointer

Is it just me or what ? Every time I bring in a fresh load of firewood ( Ash of course ) for a couple of days I get flies in the house. Do they lay eggs in the bark ? I knock the wood around pretty good to get rid of loose bark and dirt but not all of the bark falls off.

I've had flys, ladybugs and stinkbugs all hitchhike inside this winter. Keeps the cats entertained

Put away a few cords of standing dead ash this season, there's was a few bugs but nothing out of the ordinary. Because of my overly ambitious work habits here, rounds sat piled for a while begore split and piled?

When the temperature drops outside the adult flies hide in the wood, likely get deep in a tight crack or something like that and go into a state of diapause (similar to hibernation) when you bring the wood inside they warm up and wake up.
just like on a warm winter day all of a sudden see them flying around the outside wall of the house

Set up a few different fly traps near the wood trap them when they wake up hungry! probably your best bet to take care of them

When I lived in Manitoba I used to get mosquitoes (the provincial bird) coming in on the firewood at -40C. I would have preferred flies.

They look like common house flies to me. Oh well... they only last a couple of days then die. Don't recall seeing them last year. My firewood rack in the house holds approx. 3/4 face cord and depending on how cold it is I get pretty good mileage out of my i2400 Regency insert.

They look like common house flies to me. Oh well... they only last a couple of days then die. Don't recall seeing them last year. My firewood rack in the house holds approx. 3/4 face cord and depending on how cold it is I get pretty good mileage out of my i2400 Regency insert.

Of the 4 years I have been burning wood we’ve had housefly size flies every winter I bring in wood. The odd spider and stink but too. The bugs like the insulating properties of the wood

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks